Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two's better than nothin w/pics!
My 2007 mz deer hunt started off with a BANG! Missed a nice 3-point at 120 yds. first thing opening morning.[mad] Had a very nice 6-point bull bugle at us as my friend tried to stop the buck with a cow call. No luck.
Later that night, i hunted the wasatch front and hit a nice 2 point at 3oo yds. I know it was a long shot but i had shot at a coyote 10 minutes earlier in the same exact spot and i knew how far my bullet dropped. The deer stood there for a second with head wabbeling and limped into the trees. I thought great it's over. Me and my buddy met at the spot it went into the trees and the buck was 20' away as i shot again and missed. It allowed chris enough time to see that it was only a superficial flesh wound and that buck had been schooled on hunters.[Sad]
Thursday morning found me on private ground by E.C. and a miss at a 25" 3-point and a big 2-point later that night.[mad] By now, i know something is wrong.
I got off work friday afternoon at about 4 and headed to the E.C. state ground to shoot a target. Glad i did, my mz was 1' high at 80 yds.! I don't know when it was hit or dropped but problem solved.
Off to the property to wait for the big 3 point from the day before.
I sat under a lone sage brush for over an hour with darkening skies and ominous rain clouds forming. I looked to the upper end of the valley and saw 2 deer head butting and knew they were bucks. Game on. I started in their direction and they in mine. An hour on my hands, knees and stomach and i was within 75 yards. There was just one more little knoll between me and them and i just sat and waited . 5 minutes go by with me and mz ready to fire and nothing happened. I thought it was over and then i peeked over the brush and there they were at 25 yds. and no clue i was there. All 4(by this time) 2-point bucks were side by side feeding and i had no shot! After a 15 minute standoff, the biggest of the bunch took one too many steps forward and the 270 gr. Powerbelt Platinum Aero-tip was on it's way to the bucks front shoulder. He stood there for a half second and collapsed! Finally, after 2 misses and a lost deer i had by buck on the ground.[Smile]

Now, for the bullet/powder problem.
The first deer i missed was with a 348 gr. powerbelt hollow point. It was instinctive for me to drop 3 pellets down the barrel(150 gr.).
The big 3-point was the same problem plus the gun was shooting hight to begin with. After i sighted it in, i wa confident in the gun and bullet/powder combination. Wrong!
I hit this buck high in the shoulder and after fragmenting shortly after impact to 8 pieces and totally destroying both front shoulders, (the largest intact) piece of bullet stopped just under the skin on the offside shoulder with a grapefruit sized hole throught the deer.
So now, i need to select a new bullet that will not explode in everything i shoot. Time for some trial and error before next years hunt. Pics in a few.
[signature]
good on brody. when i first married all we ever had to eat was deer. i shot any buck that i saw. small ones were not so gamey. and tender oya. i stopped killing them and shifted to antler chasing. been 12 yrs since ive taken one. many chances at smaller deer. i love to hunt not as big on killing anymoore. 2 points just arent lunkers. im am in no way dissing ya buddy i know you like the meat. but i was waiting for a deer that matched your user name.lol next yr right? ken[Wink]
[signature]
cool story... where are the pics??????
[signature]
Sweet story Brody. I'm glad you got to put the whup on one finally.
[signature]
When i can find a place to hunt and pass up smaller bucks i will start doing that. Public land in northern ut is not that way.[Wink]
[signature]
Nice Brody!!!
Finding a nice buck on public land these days is pretty hard. I scouted all summer long and spotted over 30-50 bucks in my travels. Only two bucks that I saw were four points and the rest little forks and threes. The only big bucks I have seen this year are on Little Mountain, Howell Valley and some private property in Morgan. I'm not saying that there are no decent bucks on public land, but it is pretty hard to harvest one. Most of us hunters have to work and take care of our familys and there is just not alot of time to get out for weeks at a time looking for trophy bucks. It kinda sucks, but that's life.
Two points are surely better than none. Nice job Brody.
Hookjaw
[signature]
Congrats, nice job.
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Way to go Brody![/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3][/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]I also killed my deer last night. I was going to hold out for a big one this year, but once again I couldn't pass up a little two point 50 yards from a road and my daughter was with me again. No pics though.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Like Ken said the meat is much better and tender. I will be having tenderloin tonight, it is the maranade right now![/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Later,[/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]
Here's the pics.
[inline "2007 mz buck 008.jpg"]
[signature]
Too bad about the earlier 3 point. Not much worse than having sites that are off to frustrate you. Once made it all the way out for a afternoon hunt only to find water in my scope and the crosshairs in the corner.

The meat that is left should be tender. Maybe the three point will make it through the hunts and you can find him again next year even bigger.
[signature]
I hope so.
[signature]
Way to go! I bet Gage was excited! [cool]
[signature]
NIce one Brody. That looks like a different gun and set up from last year. What kind of gun is that? Did you go with a red dot or a holo sight?
[signature]
Same gun, winchester Apex, tru-glo red dot sight. Works pretty good when it doesn't get nocked off a foot.[mad]
[signature]