Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 Fish Are Deadly
[font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][#000099][size 4]FYI[/size][/#000099][/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][#000099][size 4][unsure]5 Fish Are Deadly, 3 Will Help Your Heart[/size][/#000099][/font][font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]
Health authorities are encouraging us to eat more fish. There is good reason. Higher intakes of omega-3 oils, the healthy oil found in seafood, have been associated with dramatic reductions in cardiac deaths, ischemic strokes, cancers, arthritic pain and disability, as well as acting as a powerful protectant for the brain.
But many fish are also high in mercury, which is one of the most poisonous metals in existence, as well PCBs, dioxins, pesticides and herbicides.
So, is it really safe to eat more fish, and if so, which fish are safe? This, in essence, is the dilemma for the general public and a significant number of scientists as well.
The EPA (which regulates fish from sports fishing) and the FDA (which regulates commercial seafood) have set limits for “safe” mercury levels in seafood, but they do not share their concerns about contaminants with the general public through the media or public alerts.
The reason is they are treading a thin line of trying to protect the public, while, at the same time, not wanting to destroy the seafood industry. Likewise, they cannot even agree on a “safe” level of mercury, with FDA levels being much lower than EPA levels.
Independent studies have shown that the type of mercury found in seafood, called methylmercury (or organic mercury), is highly toxic to a number of organs and tissues, especially to the developing brain of fetuses and newborns.
The elderly are also at high risk because age has weakened their cells, especially brain cells. Recent alerts have been issued by the regulatory agencies, as well as physician groups, suggesting that pregnant women should avoid eating fish known to have high mercury levels.
Some seafood is naturally low in mercury and is safer to eat. When buying seafood, chose: [ul] [li]Clams [li]Wild Alaskan salmon [li]Shrimp [li]Sardines [li]Crabs [li]Scallops [/li][/ul]
Some seafood is high in mercury and PCBs: [ul] [li]Chilean sea bass [li]Grouper [li]Marlin [li]Orange roughy [li]Rockfish [li]Atlantic salmon (farmed) [/li][/ul]
The EPA and FDA list four fish that should never be eaten: [ul] [li]Tilefish [li]Shark [li]King mackerel [li]Swordfish [/li][/ul]
Despite this warning, most seafood restaurants serve one or more of these toxic fish — and most grocery stores and supermarkets sell them — and never even warn pregnant women of the danger. Remember — mercury accumulates in the body and studies have shown that mercury accumulates in the fetus in higher concentrations than in the mother.
Here’s a great cooking tip: Cook your seafood with garlic. Garlic has been shown to bind and reduce levels of mercury in the body, making it less toxic. For more detailed information on the dangers of eating contaminated fish, read my full report,[/size][/font]
[signature]
That is a very good article. I must add to it as well something that was omited.

In some areas where the PCBs are highest, it is best to stay away from any ground feeding or bottom feeding species. They are the ones that tend to ingest more of the harmful PCBs and Mercury.

If you must eat them, limit your intake on them and also avoid eating the Head, Fins and fatty parts of the fish. Most of the toxins are stored there on the fish.

You are safest to go with the Paelagic species such as your Tunas, Jacks, Yellowtails, Pacific Barracuda (Not the Atlantic species) as well as the ones that feed strictly on the Sardines and Mackerals.[cool]
[signature]
Nice read[Wink]
[signature]
[quote tubeN2]That is a very good article. I must add to it as well something that was omited.

In some areas where the PCBs are highest, it is best to stay away from any ground feeding or bottom feeding species. They are the ones that tend to ingest more of the harmful PCBs and Mercury.

If you must eat them, limit your intake on them and also avoid eating the Head, Fins and fatty parts of the fish. Most of the toxins are stored there on the fish.

You are safest to go with the Paelagic species such as your Tunas, Jacks, Yellowtails, Pacific Barracuda (Not the Atlantic species) as well as the ones that feed strictly on the Sardines and Mackerals.[cool][/quote]

That's a real issue where I live. The Chicago river systems (such as the Des Plaines, Fox, and Chicago Rivers) are notorious for their levels of pollutants. Though the rivers are remarkably cleaner than in the past, they are not always safe to eat from. This is because the cities have cleaned up their areas while the the farmlands the rivers cut through still use pesticides, fertilizers, and other chemicals.

I've caught fish in the Des Plaines and I can personally say that it is much safer to fish the preserves (even though the limit is lower). I remember fishing near a farm and being amazed at how many bullheads were being caught (6-8 or so). Bullhead are tenacious critters capable of surving high levels of pollutants.

Soon, I discovered why there were so many bullheads. The other fish had most likely been erradicated by the toxins festering in that stretch of the river. When I finally caught a channel cat, it took 5 minutes to identify the fish after landing it. Its barbels were mostly sered off and its skin was faded in color. Its mouth was turquoise. Practically bleeding turquoise. I don't fish there anymore.
[signature]