Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lure and Jig Colors...Recipes
[cool][#0000ff]Wow. Kinda quiet on the lure making front. I guess I must be the only one on the board making up new stuff. I have a desk full of new ice jigs and jigging spoons that I have been working on for over a week. Just about finished.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the things I DID finish was the writeup on Color Recipes for the jigs and lures I make...see attached PDF file. These are just my preferences. They are not copyrighted so you can use them as guidelines to create your own stuff as you want.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Happy Holidays everybody.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Here ya go.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. Undercoat bare lead with white vinyl. White powder paint will work okay too. Use light wire Christmas tree ornaments to hang drying lures on a wire rack between steps.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. Use dark green paint (mix of bright green with a few drops of black) to paint line on back. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]3. Use same dark green paint and thin brush to make vertical bars along sides.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]4. Use same thin brush to apply two short thin strips of orange paint on the belly (simulates perch fins).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]5. Mix fine chartreuse or yellow glitter in clear vinyl and apply a thin "highlight coat" over all surfaces of the lure.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]6. Use the round end of a small stick (or nail) to apply a dot of yellow chartreuse paint on each side of the "head"...as the base for an eye.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]7. Use a fine pointed nail or stick to carefully apply a small black dot (pupil) in the middle of each eye.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]8. Add depth and luster by applying a generous coat of clear vinyl over the entire lure. After allowing to dry at least two hours...or longer in cooler weather...apply a thin coat of 2 part epoxy for added gloss and strength to the finish.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
thanks pat. wi went to try and paint some and forgot i left the paints in my garage and there all bad now so looks like i get to buy new paints
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That'll learn ya.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I regularly check all my colors and add thinner if needed. No matter how tight you cap those bottles of vinyl paint, they do thicken up over time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, I have been playing with making the pale perch in glow...and it works great. No change in the color and appearance of the lures but they glow like crazy in low light. Really cool with the barred pattern on the sides and the eye.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TubeDude,

I decided to try your paint technique and this is my first rough attempt. I took an old buzz bomb and turned it into a spinner. Do you think it will catch fish?

Steelfisher
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Looks good to me. The big test is whether or not the fish will vote for it. Almost anything will catch a fish once in a while. The key is whether or not it proves to be more productive than other lures under the same circumstances.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
who say's disco's dead? lol it's alive and well on TD's pale perch! lol.. [:p]..

hey dude then are some nice look jig's. is the green back and strips in glow? and have you tryed a orange glitter insted of the disco yellow?

is that the same colors used for you pbj in pale perch?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Ron, since posting that, I now use straight "bright green" on my pale perch...much brighter. And, the "disco yellow" actually comes out as a gold fine glitter...not yellow. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have just about every color of glitter made, and keep trying them on new lures. I have yet to find a good orange glitter. They look nice in the bottle but almost disappear on the lure.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I DO use lots of hot orange paint on many of my lures...especially perch and fire tiger. I think that orange is a universal attractor for many species.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have expanded the "pale perch" colors to crankbaits, spinners, PBJs, and even flies. I have been pleasantly surprised to find how many species really whack that color...even in waters where there are no perch. Part of it is the color scheme. Part of it is the segmented look. The rest is presentation and "sweetener".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
cool guess i need to brake out my paints and go disco yellow hunting! [:p] i'm sure i have some yellow gliter around but not cool disco like yours..lol

on your PBJ and fly's what are you useing as a filler before painting? i realy like the looks of them and would like to make some up my self.. just not sure what would take to the paint..
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That glitter is a special candle making glitter I buy from [url "http://www.rusticescentuals.com/glitter.html"]RUSTIC ESCENTUALS[/url]. I have tried about 20 of their fancy schmancy colors, and there are several that I use often in my lure making. But, as I said before, the colors are not always "true" when applied over paints. However, in working with them, I have discovered some great special effects you can get when you know how they come out.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]PM me your current mailing address and I will send you a sample of the disco yellow. I bought one of their larger size packages a while ago so I have extra. I will also tuck in a few of my current pale perch goodies so you can see how that glitter makes some paint jobs LIGHT UP. That stuff is amazing in the water.[/#0000ff]
[signature]