Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jack Rabbitts a cure for the winter blues!
Hey. Can you help? I would like to go shoot some guns. Do you know any good places to hunt Jacks? I've been to Snowville, Didn't see to much. only 2, way out there. It was fun shooting the SK. That is a long drive to only find 2 targets. [crazy]
[signature]
If you want to shoot a ton of jacks, send me a pm and i will tell you where to go, You will need a non-game gun idaho license. It is about $16.
[signature]
I have a few spots.
PM me.
last time out three weeks ago seen around 60-70 rabbits,I aint going to give you my honey hole ,but will stir you in the right direction,60 miles out of salt lake.
[signature]
Secret spots for Jack Rabbits? Come on guys. Give me a break. Are there world/state records for the biggest Jack Rabbit? We are not talking about an elusive (spell check) 12-20 lb. Rainbow Trout!!! We're talking about going out, shooting some guns and doing some......."land management" (kill Jack's) for pete sake!!! The things multiply in a matter of seconds and you are worried about someone finding your "honey hole" give me a break!!!
TS
[signature]
You obviously don't know how big of deal it is to have a GOOD rabbit spot.[Wink]
[signature]
Guess Not!!![Wink] I am the type that likes to go out and look for them as my means of exercise. I usually walk 10-15 miles each time I go out and no matter if I get 1 or 100, I still got some good exercise in, was outdoors and most importantly I was not at work!!!
TS
[signature]
What Brody said.
I have let a few people know about spots and now your lucky to see anything in a 15 mile hike,I'm not into hiking.I will let you know where them spots are though if you want them,Hell I will tell everyone know where them spots are,go out to the west shore of utah lake,the west moutains you might see one a mile.
Say what you want but I'm not giving out my exact spot.I worked hard to find it and only a few will ever see it.[Wink]
[signature]
Walking 10-15 miles for rabbits? That's a good one.[Wink]
[signature]
"[size 1]Walking 10-15 miles for rabbits? That's a good one.[/size][Wink]"

And ALL uphill.......
[signature]
Come on guys,He is hiking,alot of hikers hike that kind of distance all the time.I might walk about a 1 mile loop for rabbits before I have to go back to the truck for some food and more ammo [Wink]
[signature]
I have NEVER seen an area eradicated from jacks due to over hunting. They just multiply too fast. If your favorite 'spot' has less than you like to see, drive 5 miles and you will find more. Just look for a spot where you have a good enough field of vision and you will find them.

Some areas do get a bit spooked, where the rabbits either hide under brush well, or they run really early making you shoot a longer shot, but the rabbits are still there.

The further you drive from the heavily populated areas, the better off you will be...usually. If you want a bit of a drive, head out by Elko. Plenty of rabbits there. That's a bit far for me to drive just to chase rabbits, but I have family out there. I don't believe they require any license.
[signature]
I have seen it to many times that I now take out only close friends that swear to keep it to themselfs,They have seen the same thing happen to many times and we all have a good time shooting instead of wasting all that fuel and money to take a long walk.I will agree we may see 1 or 2 rabbits in these spots but not the numbers that I consider a good place to hunt.and I let them get out there a bit anyway,my new 22-250 is real fun out at 150-200 yrd.can you say POP!.
[signature]
All areas go through cycles, some years are better than others, but just about any area more than an hour out of Salt Lake doesn't get enough pressure to kill off all the rabbits. Besides, if we truly believe what we say, that jack rabbits are just pests, then dwindling numbers is a good thing.

And I know what you mean about 'pop'. I regularly chase them with my SKS. There isn't much left after that shot. Just pieces hanging around the sagebrush.

Dang, I really need to get out. It's been a long time!!! Also, the new snow makes them really fun to hunt, and easier to spot.
[signature]
It is true they have there cycles and I have seen it with my own eyes,but pressure on an area will either push the rabbits out or wipe them out,the secret spot was hit hard last year by use and some other people and it showed the pressure was having an effect with less rabbits every time we went out,a spot can only handle so much before there is nothing to shot at.
I know they repopulate pretty quick,and we are seeing alot of young rabbits this year,but the numbers are way down from last year,and I am going to let the place set for a while.

its a very unique area,there is a fenced in area of what people call greasewood,kinda like sage brush but the stuff is nasty to walk threw and most people wont walk thru it.the area is about a 1/4 mile block,square in shape and hold jacks and cottontail,we usally push it first into some gullies and then walk the gullies.fun stuff.
[signature]
[Smile]22-250= bang flop or bang splatter depending on what bullet you use. So I'm not crazy afterall for using the faster 22's ehh?

I sold my 250 and now I'm the proud owner of 4 223's. I don't reload so these are more user/rabbit friendly to me. Still get the same bang flop or bang splatter, just not quite as fast. The 300 mag gets used to for a little practice time.[cool]

Heading out tomorrow for rabbits/dogs. Hope to find a few, of each. Everything else is closed and I can't get the ambition, nor probably through the snow to go ice fishing.
[signature]
Remington UMC 45gr hollow pionts, 4000fps at the muz.turned them inside out,and hit one going away at 200yrds right above the front shoulders,the headless wabbit rides again.
the ammo cost me 22.95 for 40 rounds.and shots damn good for factory ammo
[signature]
I know a spot where you can see them all the time as well as coyotes the last few times we went it called Grassy mountains i just found it a few months ago and its great[cool]
[signature]
I need to find a couple of coyote spots. I tried to get into it a couple of years ago, but couldn't find anyone that knew what they were doing to show the ropes. We had one guy take us, but he was all talk. After a while it was obvious he didn't know much more than we did.
I have most of the gear, a nice bull barrel .223, digital caller, etc. Just need to find the time and place to hit, and know a bit more about what I'm doing.
[signature]
To be honest im not real good at hunting yotes i was told about this spot and i have been a few times and have seen them i use a electronic call and just glass all around me if you want a map of where we go pm me and ill send it to you
[signature]
FS36,I Pm'd you wheres the map man.just kidding if you want to keep to yourself thats fine,I understand.[Wink]
[signature]