Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Fork
I was advised that the South Fork was doing pretty good right now, problem is that I'm not familiar with South Fork. I'm relatively new to the sport and still learning the local spots. I live in Ogden. Where is the South fork in general, and where are some good specific spots to drop a fly?
[signature]
Anywhere above pineview especially near the campgrounds below causey res. Standard nymphs work well as well as dries right now in the 40* temps.
[signature]
Thank you very much. I'm not real familiar with the area, are there any specific areas that are better than the rest? I'd like to try that area out.
[signature]
Do you know where South Fork Campground is? If you know that i can tell you better.
[signature]
I am aware of where that campground is.
[signature]
Right before you hit that campground there is a big pullout at the top of the "hill". Park there and fish the river from there to Meadows campground. It usually takes about 2 to 3 hours to fish it all and there are some very nice browns and whitefish in that stretch. If you want more just head up the canyon to the cafe and turn right. Go fish below the dam and down river a mile or so. There are some great holes there too.
[signature]
Great! Thank you for your help. We're going to hit it on Saturday. It'll will be nice to know some more local spot. Tight Lines -Brett
[signature]
No prob. Maybe on a weekend i can show you some other places too.[Wink]
[signature]
that'd be great. We'll have to set it up sometime.
[signature]
A couple of buddies and I hit the South Fork on Sat morning. We had trouble finding parking as we went up so we ended up at the gate of the Memorial Campground that is below the damn. We fishing all the way up to the damn and didn't get anything. We didn't find any holes that contained fish, we only saw 2 total in the water. We left around 12:30 and went back down Ogden canyon around the Oaks restaraunt since we had caught 15 there the Sat before. I'd like to hit the South Fork more and become more familiar with it. I've learned of a moose attack in the river by Red Rocks around 1pm on sat, so be careful.
[signature]
I hit the same area Monday but went down a 100 yards or so to the private property boundary before working upstream. I went there remember someone on this site last year said it was a good place to bring dogs. The place was loaded with moose, saw 6 or 8. I had to keep a constant eye on the dogs so they wouldn't bother the moose or the dozens of deer crammed along the river. My dogs wear electric collars that give a vibration or shock if needed but they usually know better than to try a chase game because I won't tolerate it. Just so many animals so close I think I had to shock both of them 3-4 times to remind them. Unless your dogs are totally passive don't bring them. The snow was 2-3 feet deep and the fishing slow. Caught just 2, a 10 inch cutt and 14 inch brown on a #12 brown streamer and #14 prince nymph in 2 hours fishing. The sun felt warm even if I had a slight problem with the eyes icing up.
[signature]
Riverdog, we gotta hook up sometime on the Weber. I got to get to know that river.
[signature]
I probably have sometime on the weekend or possible Thursday afternoon if it's not snowing. I did hit the Weber Sunday at Mtn Green but I was almost skunked. I fished from the bridge down to the railroad bridge. 3 guys left right before I started and they all got skunked using worms and rapalas. Started icing up a bit as I turned the corner at the water outlet and got into shade. Only fished 45 minutes but didn't even see a fish. I was fishing the big hole right before the RR bridge when I said half out loud to myself "that's enough" and reached up to pull my line in when I felt a fish hit. I nice fat 19 inch brown. If I had decided to quit even 1 second earlier I'd have been skunked. Caught him on a streamer. Water was very low. Might try to fish further upstream if it ever warms up a bit this winter.
[signature]
stay in touch. Was thinking Idaho this weekend but if it is stormy, I'd just as soon stay here and wait for a better weekend up there. Plus that S160. for two licenses....Ouch, but I got it. The Utah is easy. Got till the 23rd on the UT.
[signature]