Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pelican
Its been awhile since I posted. Working for the man keeps getting in the way of my fishing these days. Smallie and I went to Pelican right before the storm, stayed in Vernal the night before and ate some decent Mexican food. We fished Pelican where the road comes in and then up in the nearby cut. A ton of small but hungry LMBs and a few nice bream. Smallie got a hair and left for Florida yesterday with his better half of 60 years so I don't have the camera to show off a few pics. Next time. If you go, fish 4" paddle tail plastic worms in rootbeer and watermelon, texas rigged, REAL SLOW. Smallie fished a bright yellow worm which caused me to pitch him a lof of grief until he actually caught a couple. He threatened to moon me so I shut up quick. If you are fly fishing, we caught some on white popping bugs. We bought the medium size with the long rubber legs but cut the legs in half so that the bream could get them in their mouths easier. We heard from another fisherman that the bass in Pelican had worms this year. I don't see where that is any different than other years and it doesn't bother me any way because I put them all back. Most were LMB were in the 8" to 12" size, caught two that were probably a pound and a half. The fastest action was from noon to 2 p.m. Didn't see any signs of winter fish kill. There was a crowd from Colorado; I guess quite a few Coloradoans come over to Pelican for the LMB fishing and Vernal night life. Okay, I made that nightlife thing up[Wink] Anyway, a good time was had by all. Have fun if you go and check out the mexican food in old town.

Tight Lines!
[signature]