Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THANK YOU ALL!!!!( circle hook results)
i had posted earlier this week about circle hooks and kahle hooks.... and you all convinced me that they are the greatest...

so i took the advice and bought a couple different styles and sizes and headed to my favorite watering hole....

i hit the Refuge around 8 last night... fished until 11 and hooked all but 2 fish that bit...

i even landed 3 big carp on the kahle hook and crawler...
one carp was pushing close to 20.
i love the kahle hooks... everyfish that bit i landed.... the bait presentation was key... i had to make sure that there was quite a bit of hook hangin out..... i ended the night with 5 cats... 3 cookie cutters and a 2lb ( skinny!!!) and a 7lber all fish were caught on chubs or on carp guts...
thank you all so much for the input!!

now heres the proof... [sly][Wink][Wink][Wink]
[signature]
Nice, I want to take my girls out there for some cats. I imagine the water is pretty clean, right?
[signature]
Nice catch and thanks for reporting back on how you did. That is kind of a creepy picture you have there, but still nice catch.
[signature]
Nice work! I went out yesterday in the rain with my buddy to UL. I have been fishing with circle hooks, but thought I'd switch back to some J hooks this trip. I was amazed at the results. My hook ups were about the same but almost every cat we pulled in yesterday had swallowed it, or was deep hooked. which meant abraided leaders, bent hooks, or cutting the line all together. In comparison to the circle hooks, almost every fish has hooked in the corner of the mouth.
[signature]
I also really like to use the circle hooks. I generally buy the best I can afford.

The only trouble is learning how to set the hook. It is not the jerk you give "normal" hooks. It is more like let them take it then just pull back on the rod. I like it better as the normal jerk will generally result in soft baits being torn from the hooks. If the fish are small and not taking the whole hook the bait is generally still there and doesn't require a retrieve and re-baiting.
[signature]
AHHHH.... That was you on the little boat surfing it up..lol.. That was me in the jon boat. Did you guys get any carp with the bow?

[quote rippin_lips]Nice work! I went out yesterday in the rain with my buddy to UL. I have been fishing with circle hooks, but thought I'd switch back to some J hooks this trip. I was amazed at the results. My hook ups were about the same but almost every cat we pulled in yesterday had swallowed it, or was deep hooked. which meant abraided leaders, bent hooks, or cutting the line all together. In comparison to the circle hooks, almost every fish has hooked in the corner of the mouth.[/quote]
[signature]
Those are some good looking cats. I was on the bird refuge website the other day. They said that they will be closing the road to the refuge starting in mid june and not opening it till september. I guess they will be doing some road repair. Did you have any problems getting out there?
[signature]
Yep that was me bouncing all over. Nice weather, eh? I guess it kept the lightweights off the water. I kinda figured you would have been a BTF'er. Only ones dedicated/crazy enough to get out and get soaked. We only ended up stickin' a few carp. I felt bad, because I had talked up to my buddy how great the bowfishing was right now, and it was his first time. Two days earlier they were all over, I got sick of shooting so many. I guess the cold front and the waves were keeping them from grouping up on the surface. How'd you guys end up doing?
[signature]