Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Politically Correct
[cool][#0000ff]We had a lively discussion going on "Obama for President". As I knew it would, it turned racist. Thanks Hookjaw. Your posts got the BFT mods a reprimand from headquarters. We tried to be as open and lenient as possible, and we got caught in the middle.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As far as future policy goes, we will not let anything like that even get started. There are plenty of other topics to discuss and there are plenty of other forums upon which to discuss your opinions or blast others that do not share them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
They can say what they want. Politics and Religion are individual choices. We do live in a Democracy. Racisim should have been in the past for all. We have grown as a Nation and we still have the same old problems, we can only look to our elected officias for no change. Always medeling in other countries affairs. This will not change any time soon, until we rid ourselves of these individuals hint our politicians need to go. Besides all of thoes problems and we can only hope for change. Besides fishing is controlled by yourself, lets talk big fish.
[signature]
I would like to apologize for posting the pictures that I posted. I realize that they may have been offensive to some people, and inappropriate.
Let me make one thing clear to you all, I AM NOT A RACIST. I had no intention of posting that picture to discriminate against his (Obama's) race or religious beliefs. I simply was engaging in the jokes that everybody else has posted before me. I should have thought about what the pictures would have caused before I posted them.
Sorry to everyone that I have offended.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for clearing that up. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]PERCEPTION is the word we have to deal with. What we as individuals think we are posting can be perceived as something completely different by others who read it. That happens all the time, not only on this board, but in national media. Somebody with a sense of humor puts something up, "just for laughs" and some of those who see it do not see it with the same eyes as the poster. They read all kinds of "other things" into it and take it as a personal offense or at least as being "politically incorrect".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As moderators, we often have to look at something not just from the viewpoint of whether or not WE are offended...but is it potentially offensive to someone else. If the answer is a definite YES...potentially offensive...we have to edit or delete the post to head off a war of words. If we make a wrong call...or a late call...we get caught in the middle and we get the blame for all the meltdown...or for "over-moderating".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I personally was not offended by the pictures you posted. I have those same pics in my "POLITICS" humorous pictures files on my computer. I also am not a racist and I can laugh at jokes on both sides of the race barrier. But, BFT is a national forum and subject to review by people from all over the race and politics spectrums. And, when people get passionate about their race or a political candidate they take every humorous comment as a personal attack...and they react. That is what happened with our Obama thread. People were getting emails with links to our thread and BFT Admin got slammed with tirades and threats. It had to go.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Appreciate your apology and understanding. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
While I agree that there is absolutely no room for racism in our country (and of course our forum), I think it's time that Hookjaw stop being called out on the carpet for the same thing.

I've known Matt my whole life, and have never known him to be a racist. I never saw the picture that started all of this, but from what I understand it was innapropriate. However, I see no reason to defame ones character over a single questionable post.
[signature]
Looks like we were posting at the same time.... also looks like we see it the same way. [cool]
[signature]