Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attractants? (smelly things)
For freshwater:

Do scented lures work for anything other than trout and catfish? Why are some shiners and lures salt infused? Does garlic actually work?

I bought some lures that you can fill with scented stuff. Do you think liver infused with garlic would attract fish? Does it have to rot for it to work first?
[signature]
I'm glad that scents have changed over the years. They used to all be oil based. When you would pitch your lure into the water all the oild based scent would come off the lure and float on top of the water in a multi-colored hue oil slick. The attractant is supposed to smell like something the fish likes to eat. Imagine a human lure that smelled like fresh pepperoni pizza !! I bet many would be fooled. Same idea with fish attractants. Although catfish have scent glands all over their body, most game fish can scent food pretty well also.

The use of scents also covers OUR scents we get on lures when we handle them. Rubber worms smell like rubber worms, and that may be the reason for garlic and salt impregnation ....to cover or mask the plastic taste and smell. When using attractants on baits for game fish (other than trout and cats), it may make the bait more attractive increasing your 'catch-to-being skunked' ratio.
It's hard to beat live bait with real scents and real blood infusing the water.
Real bait compared to man made scents is alot like comparing real human intelligence to artificial intelligence. There are things that the artificial stuff just can't do yet ........
Ohio Rusty ><(((0>
[signature]
Another reason for the attractants is to make the fish hold on longer when it picks up your bait. I went to the bass pro shop a few days ago. They do a lure demonstration in their tank. A little largemouth hit the rubber grub(which had no attractant) the dude was using, and spit it out in literally a second. All my favorite softbaits are scented, the extra little second might be just the thing you need to pull in a lunker. And about the garlic, i've found chicken liver/gizzards really work with garlic and it doesn't have to be rotten.

Hope this helps,
Bassmasta
[fishin]
[signature]
About the blood thing, I don't know if it's really true because I had piranhas and I tried seeing what they'd do when I added some bloody meat but they didn't care.

Maybe I can mix up a smelt, garlic, salt dip. I used to give them smelt and they stink.
[signature]
On the lake that I live on the large mouths seem to love the salt and garlic squid like worms that I use.
[signature]