Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zebra mussels in Utah now? Let's hope not!
From today's Salt Lake Tribune---

"Invasive mussels that have wreaked havoc on fisheries across the nation may have landed in Utah.
Wildlife officials recieved word from a Bureau of Reclamation lab in Colorado late last week that samples taken from Pelican Lake and Red Fleet Reservoir in the Uintah Basin and at Midview Reservoir on Ute Tribal Lands tested positive for the larval form of what could be zebra or quagga mussels.
Further testing on the larvae DNA will reveal which of the exotic and invasive trouble makers have migrated to Utah, although there is a chance the creature spotted under the micrscopes in Denver could be something other than the mussels. The DNA test results won't be available until the end of this week, at the earliest. "

Full article at [url "http://www.sltrib.com/faith/ci_10470714"]http://www.sltrib.com/faith/ci_10470714[/url]
[signature]
Seems they're already tested positive in Borum (sp?) Lakeview, Pelican, Red Fleet and I heard but don't know if it's true...Utah Lake and all drainages from these bodies of water. [mad]
[signature]
[cool]I believe it. They've been in the Green River below Flaming Gorge for a few years now, unfortunitely. That's the first area they showed up in...
[signature]
[quote Out4Trout]....They've been in the Green River below Flaming Gorge for a few years now, unfortunitely....[/quote]

Are you sure about that? This is the first time I've ever heard that and I try to keep up on this subject.
[signature]
Oops. Missed the Pelican Lake thread.
[signature]
You're confusing them with New Zealand Mudsnails which are found in the Green River. Mussels haven't been documented in Utah, until possibly now, but were recently discovered in the upper and lower Colorado River drainage. If we've got mussels in Utah, there will be lots of adjustments to make. The way we move from water to water won't ever be the same, let alone the changes we will see in the fish populations.
[signature]
[cool]Well, I remember 'ol Doug Miller (whose been dead for like two years now) doing a show on it on his show "Outdoors with Doug Miller" (local utah outdoors show on our CBS affiliate) about three years ago or so...
[signature]
[cool]Oh crap. You are totally right. I was confusing the two. My bad...
[signature]