Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mud Lake Frozen yet?
Just wondering if Mud lake has frozen yet, and if so how thick is it? I wandered up to Ririe today and it's not frozen but the water actually looks like it's thickening up. There was a really thin skim of ice near the shore in a couple spots but that was it.
[signature]
Belasko,

A previous post said that Mud Lake was not safe. However, at the same time I heard from a reliable source that they went out and fished it. That was last weekend so with the current trend I would speculate that it is safe fishing or soon will be.

As far as Ririe goes, most of us don't check the deep low altitude reservoirs, such as Ririe and PaliSades (the main part that is) until January because they don't freeze before then even in the coldest years.

FR
[signature]
I've been ice fishing since i was a kid, but I've never iced a perch. I'm thinking of making a few trips out to mud lake when the time comes. What's the secret for catching perch. Do you just use standard jigs like normal? do you tip them with something special? any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
[signature]
I like an ice jig tipped with a worm or grub hanging beloow a swedish pimple.
[signature]
Swedish Pimple tipped with worm until you get the first one, then cut-bait after that. At least that is what works best for me.
[signature]
Yes, after I catch a perch I also like to use a perch eye for the bait.
[signature]
Perch are my favorite ice fishing fish because I like to eat them.

I use 2lb test with the formentioned swedish pimple in a really small size tipped with a meal worm at first and then perch meat or eye is the best.

It just depends on their attitude that particular day. They can be very aggresive and easy and other times very finicky. When they are difficult down size to micro jigs. The perch are almost always within a couple inches of the bottom.

Mud lake it is easy to find them since the water is only 5ft deep. Just look for the weedlines and sand patches in the weeds.

Windriver
[signature]
Very true, and thanks for the reminder. I was turned on to that last year and had forgotten, but eyes work very well.
[signature]
ILF,

I sent you a PM with this same information plus a couple of extra secrets.

I agree with everything said but wanted to add my two cents. They call perch the poor mans lobster for good reason. They are best filleted and you will find it a chore at first but with practice can reduce the time to about 2 minutes a fish (including washing, packaging and cleanup). I find an electric fillet knife a small advantage time wise and easier on my back. I have found no degradation of meat quality on occasions where I am too worn out to clean them right away and I stuff them whole into a coffee can and freeze them for a few months. I keep them 8" and above unless it is a slow year.

Indeed, you catch them an inch or two off of the bottom and although most anything will work, there are secrets that increase your statistics by orders of magnitude. One clarification on earlier points about using perch meat. You go to perch meat not because it works better than real bait but because of two main things: 1. You cannot afford to feed real bait to perch when they are in good numbers. 2. They will pick you clean of real bait without you knowing it and you will sit there wondering why they are no longer biting.

I don't use eyeballs because it is somewhat disgusting but more importantly is easier said than done in very cold weather. When you cut your perch meat, use a very sharp knife such as a new utility knife and cut the darker green portion near the top of the back in strips about 1/4 inch wide and (after removing longer strip) 1/2 inch long. The hide is what keeps the meat on the hook and you will find it difficult to keep the hide on the meat and then to run the hook through the hide without also running it through your glove or finger. I have caught dozens on only the hide so if they chew off the meat, don't rebait right away.

I buy Kastmasters or swedish pimples that are maybe an inch or two long and usually in green and silver or blue and silver although red works well also. I remove the trebles that come with the lure and tie on a couple inches of mono then a 1/80 ounce micro jig (the jig color can be green, red or most any other color). The best bait is a wax worm but meal worm halves work and keep much better than wax worms (cheaper too).

The lure weight helps take the whole set up down quickly to increase your catch rate. Remember to set your bait high enough off the bottom to account for your extra mono leader. Perch will make a slave out of you so remember good posture and to save your back. I use strong line because after you catch a few hundred perch your line will weaken and the lures are not cheap. You will also catch an occasional trout at some reservoirs (known as slimers to serious perch fisherman) and some of those get large enough to consume poles.

That should be enough advice to keep you busy for awhile.

FR
[signature]
Good points.

I use the light line to enhance the flutter action on light swedish pimples. I like the ones that are painted either white, pink, or green. I rarely use the silver ones anymore.

Windriver
[signature]
Thanks for the updates. I haven't been able to check them d/t work unfortunately. I figure w/ this cold snap it should be good to go by next weekend when I have some free time. Any recommendations on where to fish up there or anywhere else for that matter I would love to hear them.[Smile]
[signature]