Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Johnson kicker help
I got a 1971 johnson 9.5hp kicker motor from a friend of mine to use as a trolling motor. I got it started last fall but it didn't run very good. I also noticed that the new gear oil I put in was leaking out.

I was wondering how hard it would be to put new seals in the lower unit. I was thinking if I could get the oil leak fixed myself, then take it to a good mechanic to get it running right it might save me some money. I have never worked on outboard motors before though.

Should I give it a try or just take it to a boat shop? I really hate to put more money into it than it is worth. Does anyone know a good boat mechanic around the Idaho Falls area that doesn't charge an arm and a leg?

I took it over to river rat marine to see if he would look at it for me but he said it wasn't even worth looking at, and would cost more than it was worth. He didn't seem to really want to work on it or want my business. So should I just junk it or try to fix it? Thanks for any help.
[signature]
Last summer I rebuilt a 1953 Evinrude 3 hp Lightwin and got a 1950 5 hp Johnson running again. Go ahead and try, there are plenty of places to find info on the net. I discovered NAPA has a marine catalog and the local NAPA was able to order all my parts out of Seattle and get them in a few days.

If it doesn't work, give it to me. [Wink]
[signature]
I don't know who would work on it around here. I checked with River Rat last year about an older Johnson and they said they couldn't even find out what year it was (real helpful [crazy]). I later found out that it was bought by some other people a few years ago and the new people aren't nearly as experienced yet. I haven't been able to find an other Johnson repair place around here.
[signature]
It is worth it if you can figure them out. One place i can tell you is instrumental in finding old motor parts is Seaway in Seattle. I think their website is seawaymarine.com[cool]
[signature]
Im like you i have a 99 evinrude and no one around the IF area that services them, all mercury dealers and service places. Not sure where the closest dealer/service place is. If you find one let me know.
[signature]
[Smile]I would definately call seawaymarine.com I was looking for some parts for my 72 evenrude outboard and found a post from lunkerhunter2 saying to call seawaymarine.com.

I called and in less than 5 minutes I had the parts on the way to me. They have thousands of new out of stock parts for sale. I could'nt believe it fast and easy and my outboard runs like a top now. Thanks Lunkerhunter2 for the great info. most motors can be fixed by yourself for a lot less money with a little time and elbow grease.
[signature]
Glad they could help you! They were the ONLY ones who could get a prop for my motor in less than a week and $40 cheaper than everybody else even with shipping.
[signature]
Thanks for all the help everyone. Where would I find a service manual for older johnson outboards? That would help alot. I tried to take the gear box off last night but couldn't figure out how to pull the drive shaft.

I called Precision boats and they told me to talk to Dave Hunting in Idaho Falls. He has a boat repair shop and works on older motors. I will have to call him and see what he says.

I found a brand new 9.9hp johnson 4-stroke for 1800 that I am thinking about. Thats alot of money for me but it's a pretty good price for a new motor. It would be nice to have a good motor that I could depend on to get me off the lake if my big motor crapped out.( that's what I told my wife anyway [Wink] ) Anyone know anything about the newer Johnson motors?
[signature]
I've found several sites selling old johnson manuals online. Most are for about $20. Just do a search for "Johnson Motor manual".
[signature]
thanks lunkerhunter2 the parts for my motor were only about $20 with shipping and everywhere else I called and looked they told me buy a new motor as there were'nt any parts anymore to fix it.

Ask at seawaymarine.com they might even have repair manuals there.
[signature]