Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mitchell Spinning Combo
I was at Dick's Sporting Goods recently, and I saw a Mitchell Spinning combo, spooled with berkley Trilene 12lb line, and I picked it up, felt like a pretty study rod, looked nice, and I don't remember the specs on it, haven't been back to look at it since last week, but I'm thinking it would be an excellent combo for bass fishing, and would hold up nicely under any pressure.

Anyone ever use a Mitchell combo, or hear about how they perform? Anything?
[signature]
Mitchell reels have been around for a long time. I had one back in the 70's, alot of guys will use nothing else. I was very satisfied with mine at the time. I think it was the 300 series.
[signature]
The 300 Series! Those are good reals! been around forever, that should tell you that they are a great real! The best thing about it is that anyone can afford them. I just got one for my dad 2 years ago for his B-day and he loves it. He uses it every week and never had a problem with it yet. So i don't think you could go wrong with a Mitchell combo. How much they asking for it Simp?
[signature]
The one I saw in store wasn't the 300 series I don't think...but they were asking for $30.

I saw the 300 series online and they were asking $50 for it.

So now that I have good feedback and background, I'm gonna look more seriously at it.
[signature]
There are way better reels out there. Don't get caught up in the hoopla. Stay with the big four, Shimano, Quantum, Abu, and Pfluegar. Also, Wavespin is a new technogoly to look at.
[signature]
This one fits my budget.
[signature]
You are the only one that has to be happy with your purchase. $30.00 combos are practicaly a throwaway deal so why worry? One the other hand I've never bought a combo, I don't have alot of money. I'm fishing with gear that is 1 ( Pfluger Supreme XT 8525 )
to 25 years old ( Shimano Stradic 2500 ) and well taken care of. Quality reels stand up to hard fishing and stay smooth and the bail always works. Good quality rods are light and sensitive, they are easier to fish with all day. Some of the guys I fish with have never owned any quality fishing equipment and are perfectly happy. Then again, when a monster fish finally comes your way, there is probably no chance that a cheap combo outfit will land it. At least you got to feel it for a second. When you say that this Mitchell combo fits your budget, what are you saying? Is this all the dough you have on you. Maybe instant gratification will serve you well for a day but if you save up and get a quality reel for around 75 to 125 dollars, you will have a fine machine that won't let you down and could last a lifetime with care. The same goes for a nice rod. And quality line fishes so much better. I'm not saying the most expensive stuff is the best, but the cheap stuff sucks. No matter what brand. I always talk about fishing cheap,but this is for you. You only go around once in this life. This isn't a practice run. Save money by fishing with only the right stuff and don't get sucked into filling your room and garage and storage unit with the latest fad or new lure. Save money by keeping you gear off the ground or packed in a car with six buddies and a case of beer. When you spend a little more and your gear is so fine to fish with, it is much easier to spend the time to take care of your stuff. Fish like people that fish with pride... Really.
So to sum this up, Don't be a cheapo with your own stuff, Learn to fish a few lures really well. Use the best quality equipment you can buy and your whole fishing experience will be better. Note: When I was even poorer I used to buy great quality fishing gear used. Many good used Items out there because the good stuff lasts.
[signature]
You make the point in far better detail than previous. At the time I didn't have a job, but they moved my starting time up, so I will probably go with something much better...I'll just have to look around and see what I can do. I do want something quality when I actually fish the river this summer.

So I guess I'll look around at dick's next time and see what combos I can see, and probably looking at the individual reels as well.

I would want a baitcast, but something tells me those baitcasts would be harder to use than the shakespeare axiom baitcast I have.

So I'll be looking...I'm thinking about getting some 14lb. fireline, would that be a good quality line? That's what I understood in my thread about the best line for bassin'.
[signature]
I still like Mono, I guess I'm old school. I do have one Flippin stick loaded with Braid. I perfer any Braid to Fireline. It is limper and seems to fish better. Don't even use a leader, just fish it straight to the jig. Braid is also good for topwater because it floats. Its getting to be spring so you will be fishing more. Feel free to ask specific questions to any of us and we will guide you to bigger fish. One step at a time.
[signature]
Fireline Crystal is nice line for saltwater and the experienced baitcasting angler. It is a little harsh and stiff for most freshwater applications unless you are fishing stripers.

Mono is still better for the type of fishing that you are doing. I have been following your reports and see that mono is still your best bet.[cool]
[signature]
Then I shall get mono. As for what kind, I don't know. I got a day off Friday, so if I get line in time I might load the gear up and fail to catch a fish at the river. My actually catching a bass in the river is very unlikely, but you don't know until you try.

If I don't get line, I'll just fish in the pond and try catching the tiny little guys. Which kinda sucks, because they only bite one crankbait, and I can't find another like it. I've been trying to get em to bite other lures, but they aren't having it. In retrospect, I have to get more line. I took all the line of the little Daiwa Samurai I've been using for bass fishing the pond (the bass are all around a pound, so I don't need much to get them). The moss is SO utterly ridiculous in her pond. It covers my line and lures, ends up entwined in the line as it spools back up, staining my reel. So I have to get new line.

Oh, and bendo, the evolution pic is hilarious.
[signature]
Yeah i think mono is your best bet to. Mono is a good line for your everyday plain old fishing. One reason i use mostly mono is i fish alot during the cold months. If you use braid during those months you are asking for trouble. Braid is like a sponge and it holds water. You will notice your guides freeze up alot more, and worse than that it will start to freeze on your real making your casting distance alot shorter.

I recommend Gamma Copolymer line. That stuff is like steel. I hooked up with everything from little gills to shark with the stuff. Google Gamma and do the reserch for yourself. I think if you decide to get some you will agree with everything i said.
[signature]
Braid for flippin and topwater, mono for topwater, and flurocarbon for everything else. Fluro is so clear fish have problems seeing it. You can run a fluro leader off a braid carolina or split shot rig.
[signature]