Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weekend, Salmon/Challis Report
Fished Ellis a bit on Saturday with the wife. She got one hit but quickly lost it. We saw 2 fish landed by a boat but that was it there. Headed back to Salmon and fished the Lemhi hole for a while. I tied into one there for about 5 seconds or so before it threw the hook. My wife landed a tiny trout, a sucker and almost landed a normal trout. The one that was probably a steelhead was on my home made roe recipe, borax/jello mix. IT WORKS! The F&G lady checking catches there said she had been all the way to the middle fork that day and had yet to see a steelhead caught. Today we headed back to Ellis and each got a solid hit on shrimp with an orange corky and a few threads of pink yarn. Another gent up there put us onto that combo except he was using orange yarn which I didn't have. He had caught 2 fish. Saw one boat with 1 fish and no one else was claiming anything today. However the fish at the hatchery there were much more active today. They were jumping everywhere and bouncing off the fence and everything. My 2 yr old thought that it was great! Other than that the temps were in the mid to upper 50's and the water was a bit muddy.
[signature]
Wow! Great Pics of the steelhead at the hatchery. That is awesome.

Windriver
[signature]
dang those are such a beautiful fish. i have a question when i went up to the hatchery a buddy and i notice all the white stuff all over some of the fish. now is that just from them rubbin themself against the concrete or is it a part of the breed maturing prosess?
[signature]
Most likely what you're talking about is scar tissue, just bumps and bruises. It's a lot of river from the salt water.
[signature]
Most of that white stuff we saw, when I could get a good look at it, were scars from fighting, hitting debris, that sort of thing. But there were a couple fish in there that were really spotted all over and I suspect with them it was part of the aging, decaying while alive like salmon do after spawning.
[signature]
awsome pictures how many fish was in the hatchery as of that day
[signature]
yeah but steelhead dont normally die after spawning they can head back down river to the ocean again they are called downers when they do that.
[signature]
i have read this but i want to know if idaho fish can do this. I am sure they are capable but can they get past the damns. From what i understand they net the fry and put them in tanks and take them below the damns, but is there anyway for the "downers" to get past the damns.
[signature]
I talked to a F&G officer a couple years ago about that, and he told me that they are capable of getting back but from the Salmon River it's only about 1 in a million. That's a long swim back from all the way up there.
[signature]