Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best day at Willard ever (06/14/ 03)
Wiperslayer and I fished Willard from a little after 6am today until 12:00 noon. Water temp was 71 degrees and we fished in the N/E corner most of the morning using a modified Stanley lure. The hot color was black back, white sided, trolled at 2.8mph.WHITE, WHITE, WHITE, (WHO WAS THAT OTHER GUY THAT KEEPS SAYING THAT). By 9am we had over 20 wipers that we got into the boat and released, we left the area and trolled to the S/E corner. We continued to catch fish until we had 32 wiper and one walleye before we left. We also caught wipers on the producer and wally diver lures. It was our best day ever at Willard, I only wish we had more time, I'm sure it could have been a 50 wiper day. There was a lot of surface activity and some small boils but casting did not catch any wipers. There was a lot of boat traffic today, no surprise, it was getting worse when we left. Most fish were between 16 and 18 inches, as small as 6 inches and as big as 20, here are a couple of the bigger fish.WH2

[Image: TWO1812CustomImage0129625.jpg]

[Image: TWO1812CustomImage0112296.jpg]
[signature]
Looks like you guys really put the hurt to the Wipers today. Nice work. How big was the eye you landed?
[signature]
16 INCHES and speaking of that walleye I need to fillet it, it took me 3 hours to get this post up because of the pictures. WH2
[signature]
Nice report WH2.

what does the stanley look like,Thanks for any info.

Did you guys try the west dike near the light pole at all?

If you didn't i know why,lol.Great pics.

TIGHT LINES

Tony[cool]
[signature]
It looks just like a Producer but it is sold by Bass Pro, when we bought them they were on sale for $1.49 a piece. No, we never lift the East side it was just too good. WH2
[signature]
Best wiper report so far this year. Where you using side planners? If you where did you catch more fish or less fish on them compared to your other rods?
[signature]
Yes, we were using side planners but we were doing better without them, we were using them mainly to keep our lines seperated, you know how those wipers are, without them you are always getting your lines tangled. WH2
[signature]
I know what you mean. When you hook into a wiper with four poles out you can easily get tangled even turning the side planners help keep your lines from getting tangled . I'm going to willard tomarrow evening hope I can get into some wipers like you did.
[signature]
Even with the side planners we were tangled up more than I would like, especially when the wiper catching is hot, like it was today. I'll keep an eye out for you tomorrow, I'm going to try and be on the water by 4pm. I was looking at one of those VHF radios yesterday, $89.00 for a hand held one in Cabela's. I can see how they would come in handy. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Way to go you two. Some day I'm going to have a day like that![/size][/font]
[signature]
Congrats on a great day on the water . Nice report !!
[signature]
It was four years in the making, I hear of people with 50 wiper days and it is hard to imagine. The way this year started off I did not think we would do this good before the wipers started boiling in the fall. It sounds like you have been doing better on the West side as far as bigger wipers go and you are sooo right about white. WH2
[signature]
Glad to hear someone had a really successful trip out today! My luck must have worn out or all the traffic on the water had an adverse affect.
[signature]
sounds like a ball. good job
[signature]
What time of day was the most action going on, I have always fished for wiper at evening, but hear from Old Coot that morning is better!!!
[signature]
Between 6am and 9:30am we caught the most, twenty. It slowed down after that, for then next 2.5 hours we caught another 13 and one of them was a walleye. You never know when the best catching will be but for us at least it was in the mornig. WH2
[signature]
[#ff0000]I took two of my boys that didn't have fishing licenses over to Willard to try the Wipers for the first time Saturday evening. We caught 9 Wipers and 1 Walleye on lipless cranks. We trolled anywhere from 1/2 to ten MPH and seemed to have the most strikes from 1-3. (The Walleye took a producer while we were goofing around surging to 10 MPH!) We tried Producer prisms, a small Rapala about a quarter of the size of a producer, and some Japanese thing with a belly full of BB's. Did about the same on the first two and nothing on the imported BB belly. We tried to find the island but didn't see a buoy, or bottom out, or catch fish or anything where it was supposed to be. I think we found the light pole - you can only see half of the top of it some distance off on the East side, right? We were only catching one about every half hour maybe from a quarter to half mile out from the light pole but they were 20+ inches. I was holding my pole with one of them, with spider wire that caught along my wedding ring, when one of them hit. I don't know which was screaming louder, my drag or me as my finger was about sawn off - note to self.... We followed the crowd across to the West side along the section where I-15 comes closest to the dike and the catching was faster but they were much smaller. Almost every boat around had a fish on at any given time. We kept a few to fillet, will be interesting to see how they fry up. As we were trailering the boat at dusk my 14 year old said, "Dad, trout fishing is stupid!" Thus announcing the birth of another Wiper fanatic. [/#ff0000]
[signature]
I know what your son means after catching a wiper it is hard to go back to trout fishing. It sounds like you guys did good and you caught fish up to 10mph, that is a first.

The light pole is on the west dike though and the freeway(I-15) is on the East side of the lake. If you just got your east and west backwards then you were probably by the light pole because it is the only thing on the west dike that you can see. You are lucky the line did not slice through you finger, those big wipers can hurt you bad. When you cook those wipers try soaking them in sprite for 20 or 30 minutes first. WH2
[signature]
[#ff0000]Oops, you're right, East was West and West was East.[/#ff0000]
[signature]