Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reels (Spinning & Bait Casting)
Don't want to sound stupid, but what is the difference between Spinning & Bait Casting reels other than one being open faced and one being closed faced.

When I was a kid my Dad let use bait casting just for the point of me being able to get off a decent cast. Once I got some age on me I went to spinning reels and never looked back. (felt like I had became a man)

I have been curious about buying me a bait casting reel for a smaller pole to go after Bluegills and things of that sort. But, I also notice on allot of fishing shows I see the pro's going after big game fish using bait caster's rather than spinning reels.

Any quick responses will help being that I plan on buying a new rod and reel today after work for my first trip out this season tomorrow.

Thanks,

Woody Wood
[signature]
Hi there

I will tell you from experience, you really wouldn't want a baitcaster for panfish. Freshwater Baitcasters are the top choice for pros because of there hardcore power and hook setting, spinning reels are normally confined to very light 4-8lb test for bass with a finesse presentation. Baitcasters allow you to pull bass out of very heavy cover if you are using a heavy braid or mono/fluro. A great starter reel is the Quatum Response priced at just $50. 5bearings too.
[signature]