Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiger muskie on 4 pound line
Saturday night on Doug Miller's Outdoor show someone had sent in a picture of a Tiger Muskie, over 40 inches long, that was caught on 4 pound test line. Either that guy was lucky, a great fisherman, it was a docile tiger, or he stretched the truth just a tad.
[signature]
probably caught it in the winter,Ice fishing for perch.They dont fight as hard and there have been some caught during the winter on the light stuff before.

[cool]
[signature]
Remember Kent,

That fisherman don't lie [Tongue] - they stretch the truth. I remember the first time I hit a big jackpot in Wendover and somehow telling the story the 670 quarter jackpot turn into a 670 dollar jackpot. Sure sounded better...

As for the 4 Ib. test line - who fishes for muskie with 4 Ib. test line??? You would have to use a steel leader, be fishing in a boat, and have 2 hours of fighting time to get him worn out. Somehow maybe a little stretching occurred.

But I did see the picture - it was a BIG fish.

Onto another topic.. My brother went up to the gorge Friday and Saturday - he caught plenty of the 18" to 22" kokanees and got the line on trolling for the mackinaw. He ran into a boat with three guys who put over 100 macks in the boat in 3 days. Most in the 15 to 20 Ib. range but did catch a 33# and 35#. My brother got the inside technique and will try it in the next few weeks. Will let you know the results when they are validated.

Have a good WET day... Lundman
[signature]
[cool]While that feat may sound prepostorous, it is not impossible. There are many entries in the "10 to 1" club...catching fish that are ten times the size of the rating of the line used to catch them. I've done that for both stripers and salmon...and came close with halibut.

There have been a lot of toothy northerns and muskies taken on light line, while fishing for other species. It is usually a matter of both skill and luck to get them in, since hooking them without a wire leader usually means a short tussle. But, if you hang them in the corner of the jaw...or on the tip of the snout, as I did with a 16 pound northern on 6# line in Yuba, you can get them in.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage0859309.jpg]

I ate the walleyes in the bucket, but had a resin cast mount of the northern.

TubeDude
[signature]
I had the chance to land a 30" Muskie, on 4 LB test, through the ice at pineview a couple years ago. I was fishing for perch, got lucky and caught him in the corner of the jaw on a silver Kastmaster. Took a while to land him, but it was fun. Unfortunately we didn't have a camera, so no pics to show off. I don't imagine it could be done when they have more of a fight in open water....but I guess anything is possible.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I didn't see the Doug Miller show Saturday but I did witness, first hand, a 39" Pineview tiger come in on 6# mono (no steel leader). In fact I was the one who lifted it ino my boat. It was hooked in the side of the mouth and was very dossile. As soon as we got it into the boat, it came alive and I learnt my first lesson about just how much blood a muskie can draw from a human.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Three years ago I went to Pineview with a friend and he caught a 43 inch, 25 pound tiger on my spare crappie rod. I had loaded the rod with 6 pound original Stren and he had a short steel leader. Bass Pro Extreme rod with a Shimano 2000 Stradic. Truly amazing catch.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
Now you can see why I fish for crappie . Hoping one comes along . Like they say if you can find the crappie , the muskies will be close by . I hoping . LOL
[signature]
Speaking of those Doug Miller pictures, did anyone see that picture of that hog crappie? How big was it, 4lb, where was it caught? WH2
[signature]
Several years ago I caught a 40 inch Northern Pike at Yuba on 4 pound test in an 8 inch hole. He took 45 plus minutes to land. He kept striping line and would stop just before the spool emptied several times. He put his head up through the ice hole twice but I could not get him out. I had to put on a leather glove and reach into his mouth to get him out. He bit down and I popped him out like a cork
[signature]
Now that's a fat northern pike.
I remember watching a few years ago when yuba was hot for pike. I kept saying " you need to keep some of those pike". Now the pike have eaten all the food fish and walleyes. CRASH again.
[signature]