Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outcast #4 repair
I had a single thread break on the main seam along the outside edge of my old Outcast Fish Cat 4. I removed the bladder, and the seam is readily available from the inside.
I was looking for a strong thread to repair it with and my brother asked if Power Pro or other braid would work.
I hand stiched the seam with the power pro and have confidence that I'll not have problems in that area again.
All I had on hand was 8lb, but will beg some 80lb. from a friend with a bulk spool in case I need some in the future. I certianly have no concerns about strength. but I think 80lb. would be closer to original thread dia.
This worked out well for me. Has anyone else made the same type repair? Illinoisgiller
[signature]
Long time ago, I had a tube that seams broke in a few spots. I used KEVLAR. Nothing going to break it. I also laid a thin coat of Aqua Seal over the seam.
I bought me another year with the tube, which was great for the price I paid for the tube.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Over many years of tubing, and having used many kinds of tubes, I have had a few cover "malfunctions". [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I learned how to perform basic stitchery as a kid, while watching my mother do mending. I used that to help me fashion some of my first homemade float tube covers about 50 years ago, and to make repairs on others since then.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Since I also build rods and tie flies, I have a bunch of different nylon threads in my supplies. For several seam repairs I have used heavy size E rod winding thread. It is amazingly strong and when doubled in a darning needle makes a mend that will last longer than the rest of the tube cover.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]As FG suggests, it is a good idea to finish the job with a light coating of Aquaseal. [/#0000ff]
[signature]