Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back From the Land of the Midnight Sun!
Just got back yesterday from my 1+week outting to Alaska and felt I should post a report here since I did ask on here for people's suggestions, recommendations and other advice.

We flew into Anchorage and stayed with a friend before catching the train to Seward the next morning. Definitely a nice way to travel with all that great scenery. We spent the day wandering town and visiting the sealife center. A bit pricey, but interesting none the less. The next morning we got serious and met our charter boat at 615am. For you wondering, we booked with Puffin Charters and were assigned to Captain Leslie on the Huntress. The boat handles 12 fishermen plus the captain and deckhand. The captain was knowledgeable and was very safety oriented at all times. The last 2 weeks had been raining hard, but produced some of the best fishing in recent memory they claimed. We happened to get some of the best weather in a month or more and the fishing has slowed way down. We had a beautiful sunrise on the way out to the halibut grounds and astounding scenery. We tried one spot and after 2 cod and a couple hits in 10 minutes the captain felt the conditions weren't right for buts and decided to move. After another couple hours to what she felt would provide the best odds, given the conditions, we quickly realized she had put us on top of them. We managed to land a limit of buts (remember there are 12 fishermen) in just over an hour plus one yellow eye. We then moved on to salmon. We ran most the way back to Seward looking for salmon. The reports we heard were that most captains were having trouble finding much fish of any kind other than rock fish. We finally set up and started drifting for silvers and quickly hooked up 4 or 5 on the first drift. We only managed to land 2-3 of them, amongst which both my wife and I managed to land one each. We then repeated the drift and continued to catch fish for about 1 1/2-2 hours. Most the fish we were catching were black bass, but we all caught and landed at least 1 silver. My wife and I both landed 2 and lost two. That left us 1 each short of a limit. I have no doubt that we would have stayed and limited everyone if we'd had time. However 2 guys from NY had a plane in Anchorage to catch at 9pm (it was 430 when we headed in) and we had to be on our cruise ship no later than 8pm. Upon arriving in Seward we gave the J-Dock processing our info and instructions to them and our charter captain, get some quick pics, and had to run before they got to filleting them. Either way the fish arrived vacuum packed, flash frozen in I.F. 2 business days later in good shape. We broke into them tonight and yes, they were awesome[Smile].

As for sizes, the halibut were all in the 25-35lb range with my wife tying for the big one. The silvers were estimated to be about 12-15lb a piece. Not sure the sizes on the rockfish. No Ling cod were found which I was a little bummed but hard to complain under the circumstances. I've already decided I must go back, but focus on the priority.... FISHING!!!!
[signature]
So, did you take a cruise in Alaska then? Was the fishing trip a shore excursion type of thing? If so, what cruise line did you go on and how did you like it?

My wife wants to take a cruise to Alaska, but I want to go back to Mexico! haha...

Great report too!

Josh
[signature]
We did take a cruise. I left that portion of the report out since this is a fishing forum. But since you asked we were on Royal Carribean's Radiance of the Seas doing their southbound cruise. It left Seward, went Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, Ketchikan then the inside passage to Vancouver BC where we caught the bus and train south to Lacey WA to crash w/ my sister for the weekend before flying home. As for how we liked it, the only problem I had was getting used to someone doing everything for me on ship except hand feed me the meals. Truly a relaxing experience. Not to mention the shows were great as well.

The fishing portion was not an excursion, although we could have done it that way. We found that it was more economical to book it ourselves and just plan an extra day just before the cruise for fishing. The original plan was for 2 days, but the economic downturn hit us some and we just couldn't stash enough to book another day plus ship the catch home.

After having gone both Mexico and Alaska, I would recomend you head north.
[signature]
my wife has been wanting to go on a cruise and that would be a good way for me to get to do some alaska fishing also how much was the charter and licenses if you dont mind me asking?
[signature]
charter for combo trip was about $310 per person for a full day. A one day license is only $10 or $20. Single species trips were usually listed for less. After checking various forums and asking a lot of questions the top three recommended (or most often recomended) charters I found were Crackerjack, Pro fish 'n Sea, and Puffin Charters. I later found out that they are all friends and were frequently on the radio to each other trying to help each other out with getting on the fish for their customers, so I figure any of them would be a good choice. I've got a link at home that lists the charters all over AK. I'll see if I can post the link later.
[signature]
Great Report. I worked for three years in excursion inlet (75 airmiles west of Junea). I really miss it there. I hope to go back in the next couple of years.

Jared Scott outdoors had a segment on the area where I worked this week.

Windriver
[signature]