Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Chrome
Just gearing up for this winter. While up on the south fork of the clearwater last year I noticed a lot of fly fisherman using what looked a lot like a drift rig with 2 beads and hooks? As this year I will by flyfishing almost exclusively. I'm wondering if anyone on the site can provide any insight into how to get into them on a fly rod this coming winter. Thanks in advance!
[signature]
i think your talking about the trout bead that is about 2 or 3 inches above a bare circle hook? If this is what your talking about this was started by fly fisherman. i have seen them use it with a strike indicator and some weight to get it down then you fish it almost identical to the bobber fisherman.
[signature]
I tried troutbeads on a trip fishing for sockeye and trout last summer. They worked OK but I found big bright streamers to be a lot more productive. A lot of people floss with them for sockeye. Which is just snagging a sockeye in their big open mouth. I don't even know why they need the beads on to do that. Maybe to make it look sporting. You can just use 1 or 2 tied an half to 2 inches above a hook as you would use any egg pattern. I haven't bothered to use any for more than a year now. If you want any to try out just pm me your address. I should be able to dig up a few dozen for you to try out. One advantage of them is they are cheap. But I personally felt I'd rather spend a couple bucks extra on flies and catch a lot more fish. Maybe they'll be more productive with steelies.
[signature]
i think they seem to work better in the spring when the fish are hitting smaller targets.
[signature]
Hey, I have used some with great success. They are pretty much like you are nymph fishing. On Big Elk Creek I dont chase the kokes, I target the cutts. If you drop a bead behind a nice looking hopper you will have a double chance on catching some of the funnest cutties you will ever catch. It is a good time chasing these cutts. Sorry if I gave anyones secretes away. After all i I love to do this as well. Good luck.
[signature]