Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard crappie advice?
[font "Courier New"][#000050][size 3]As I only have gas(money) for one trip until next month, I was considering going in the morning for crappie. Then taking a nap in my car (parked in the shade) and then fishing in the evening for catfish (though getting walleye would be even better!)
Location would be inside the North Marina, or off that long raised (from the rocks) walkway where the boats exit to the main lake from the marina and casting over that into the lake (sucks not having a boat!)

Is it too late in the season to try for Crappie? I know that when TubeDude and Troll were helping me, that was in May and seemed to be "Crappie season".
If I go this week, would I have any luck at all, or just wasting a day?
Anybody who knows me, knows I'd rather sleep in if there's no real guarantee of even getting a bite out of the whole 'early to rise' junk! [angelic]

P.S.
I'd be using tube jigs, with a bit of worm. Unless something else works better, this time of year...?

And of course if anybody wants to join me, and teach me more stuff personally, that'd be nifty!

[/size][/#000050][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]With the cooling weather, the North Marina should be getting pretty good soon. Might be a bit early for prime time. But, there are almost always a few crappies, catfish and wipers inside the marina, at least during years of high water. I am attaching a new map I made JUST FOR YOU sweetie.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Early mornings are not necessary. This time of year the fishing is often best after the sun hits the water. And, unless you are a masochist there is no need to stay past dark...unless you like bugs.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are usually fish close to shore all along the east side of the marina...from where we fished for crappies all the way to the SW corner. And, the SW corner is a good spot to spend all day since fish move through there off and on throughout the day. If you can cast out at least 50 feet, into the deeper water, you have a good shot at catching cats and even wipers. Not likely to catch any walleyes yet, but in the late fall they do move inside more.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you want a shot at catching crappies, bluegills or even a stray perch, walk down on the fuel dock and fish around the edges, beneath the dock, with small jigs tipped with worm. No bobber. Drop to the bottom and then slowly raise it back to the top...jig a little and let it stop. Bites will usually be when it is not moving. Also, make some casts to either side of the dock, especially just to the east. There are usually some small bass...largemouth and smallmouth...holding in the rocks and stickups. You might lose some tackle. That is a good spot to use a bobber.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Plain old worms will work for everything. You might even hook into one of the big ol' nasty carp that often swim right up into shallow water there in the SW corner. If you want to target them, wad up a piece of soft white bread and mold it onto your hook. Or, chew up some saltine crackers until you get a firm dough. Hang on.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For jigs, use white, yellow, silver or chartreuse. Shad colors like white and pearl are generally best when the baby shad are hanging around.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
There's a reason I don't chase Crappie in the fall. They can be hard to find.

Going fishing is never "wasting a day". If you decide to go for the kitties, try over by the beach by the group pavilion at willard. Right in the corner, and don't forget the south marina has fishing too. Ever notice Pat fishes there alot? What does that tell you?

You should save your gas money for extra woolies so we can get you out on the ice this year!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You are right about the south marina. I actually prefer tubing there most of the time. But, it can be problematic for bank tanglers. All of the brush that grew up along the shoreline during the low water years makes it tough to land a fish. There are very few places where you have any shot at both hooking and landing fish. And, let us not overlook that the Dawn girl has some limitations on how far she can hike or how much dike climbing she can tolerate. Most of the better spots are not as close to parking as those at the north marina.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Looks like I might be hitting the south marina on Thursday this week. 'Bout time for Willard to give up some fishies to this old tuber again.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Courier New"][#000050][size 3]LOL I should'a known you two would answer me [Wink]

True, fishing is never a "waste" of a day...it's just that I get skunked so much (when I'm on my own), that it's getting rather discouraging - if I wasn't such a stubborn little cuss, I'd probably just give up on the sport.

I was going to stay past dark for the catfish, because that's always when I get bites in the community ponds. Never when there's light...as soon as the sky dims, then they get active. Maybe it's not that way at Willard? But I always see the carp rolling at sunset too, so I figured that would be a good time.

Pat, if I lose tackle, it'll be all the stuff you gave me. But since I know what it is now, I'll go buy replacements and not mooch off you anymore [laugh]

Roger - I was planning on trying the South Marina... next year. As Pat says, that hike over the barrier tuckered me out last time...and I even used the stairs from the campground! I'm doing more physical stuff lately, and getting my stamina up. Also, I will indeed have new woolies no later than mid October. I suppose I ought to at least try ice fishing once, before I claim I don't like it [crazy] I was thinking Holmes Creek at least, since that seems like a good spot in winter, and it's closer by. Plus THAT hike will really be good exercise. LOL

Okay, so I'll go in the early afternoon instead, and stay from there. Now I just gotta figure out what day. Seems like tomorrow will have the least amount of wind.
[/size][/#000050][/font]
[signature]
Pat,
I was thinking she could park in your spot [Wink] (I think there is a sign marking it) she has the placard. Then fish the inlet channel right there.

[url "http://maps.google.com/...19,0.003422&t=h&z=19"]http://maps.google.com/...19,0.003422&t=h&z=19[/url]
You'll have to teach me how to lable those maps, but Pats spot is right next to the lone SUV with a trailer by the launch.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Here is the picture of "MY" spot...also accessible to Dawn and others with physical limitations.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Access is only part of the equation. Don't know if you have tried fishing the inlet from that point, or along the shoreline elsewhere, but it is really tough on tackle. Lots of brush that grew up during the 2 years of low water. As I tube along the edges I can pick up dozens of bobbers and lures eaten by the brush when bank tanglers challenged the vegetation. Almost impossible to get a fish or even a plain hook and sinker back in through the maze of crud. That point used to be one of the best places for a bank tangler to fish for cats and wipers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]LABELING PICS AND MAPS. There are quite a few different photo software programs that allow you to add text or create lines or other effects on pictures. Photoshop is perhaps the best know. I use ACD See and PhotoImpression. They provide quick resizing, cropping, auto exposure and the options to add instructional text or lines, etc.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Courier New"][#000050][size 3]Roger - I can't see your pic. Google gave me a "Not Found" error.

I've heard weeds, reeds and other vegetation is good for fish to hide in...though I guess if it's bad enough you can't even get just tackle back out, not worth bothering. But I'll go look around, anyway.
New plan is for Monday. It'll be a bit warmer. Plus, I was lazy on Tuesday and puttered around instead of packing up gear, and gettin' gone. I gotta go to the medical supply store by Newgate mall next week anyway, might as well kill two birds with one stone!
[/size][/#000050][/font]
[signature]