Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 26 Sept
Hit Willard Bay Saturday. Launched from the North Marina. Trip was to target Walleye. Water temp on was 66* off pushing 69*.

Trolled Lindy Shak'e 2 oz bottom bouncers with Lindy Shak'e Blade worm harnesses. Same exact setups as we'd used earlier in the season for Walleye...except for the bottom bouncers. Even switched and trolled known Walleye cranks with a little weight.

With'n 15 minutes of get'n my setup out I had a kitty in the boat. Had two other hits throughout the trip but no hook sets (Walleye???). Fish'n partner got 3 kitties in the boat.
Fished Freeway Bay and ended the trip trolling a little portion of the North Dike south of the outlet. We trolled right at 1-1.5MPH line out from boat was 70'-110'.

Marked fish suspending off the bottom anywhere from 2-3 feet from the bottom to 4' below the surface. Didn't see large bait pods nor did we see any boils. Just saw fish suspending.

So no Walleye this trip.

However even though we're not seasoned Walleye anglers the 2 hits I had I'm think'n were Walleye. The hits were soft and my drag was set very light. When I grabbed the rod to reel in I felt light tugs then nothing (not the same as when a kitty hits...for me there's a definite distinction between a kitty and Walleye on the hook). Maybe it was a kitty but we'll never know...I'm think'n not. Thoughts???

Walleye from our past Willard fish'n experiences hit soft and if you don't set the hook quickly no fish. Some of our earlier season Walleyes catches were caught right when we're let'n the line out. Felt a light pull thought it was a snag on the bottom until it pulled back.

So we'll have some nice Kitty fillets for a couple dinners...that's what counts.

Think'n as the water cools maybe the Walleye bite will pick up. At least we hope so cuz we want some Walleye. So we'll be mak'n a few trips there in the weeks to come.

For you who fish for Willard Walleye will the bite pick back up in cooler waters? Per our early season log we got Walleye with water temps a cool as 54* and as high as 70*. Just curious on late season Walleye fish'n if it's similiar to early season or if it becomes non-existent until next Apr-early June (pre-spawn, spawn, post spawn time). [:/]

Guess we'll just have to read up on this species of fish and gather some more fish'n intel... [cool]

Sure hope you all had a great weekend.
[Wink] [Wink]
[signature]
Hey Kim, nice report, too bad the eyes were not biting. Those fins sure look red of those cats you caught, any idea why? Sounds like you need to PM Crankem or one of the other walleye fishermen on the site and see if they can give you some tips on catching the eyes this time of the year, good luck.
[signature]