Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
weber last sunday
i hit the weber last sunday. i got there at 10. i didnt get a bite for at least an hr. i got a nice 16 inch white that was full of fight. i got her on a 18 prince. i stayed in that spot for another 15 mins with nothing. i went on ahead. i wasnt doin good at all so i turned around and was heading back. i got 2 more whites in the same spot that i got my last one. on the first cast back in that spot i got a 14 inch white and about 5 mins after that i got a 16 incher. then it went dead. i was goin to go to wanship but decided since i never been any father i would go. i wasnt getting a bite for anything. then i ran into another flyfisher and asked what he was using. a sow bug. i lost all of mine last time i was out there and he was nice and gave me 2. then thats when i started to catch them. i got 3 more whites, a small 12 inch brown, and my first ever cutthrought. i want to thanks the man that helped me. i always have sow bugs but that day i didnt. i only got a pic of the cutthrought and it was a a fighter. i will go back there to that same spot in 2 weeks and maybe illl run into that man again and can repay him. doesanyone know when the spawners start and is it browns or whites first to start?
[signature]
The browns are starting right now. They will be very aggressive for a while.
[signature]
Dont forget to swing some streamers they can produce some real nice sized browns. I ran into a guy fishing a size 8 sex dungeon thought he was crazy until I fished it
Now Im hooked (no pun inteneded[Wink]) On fishing big crazy looking streamers.
[signature]
Fun fly isn't it. I tied up some that are 4" long and they KILLED at the Berry.
The thing is, they have a stinger hook. Helps on those hook-ups.

Try Kelly's Egg Sucking Sculpin....YIKES!
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Try Kelly's Egg Sucking Sculpin....YIKES![/quote]

Oooohh Do tell me more about this Egg Sucking Sculpin
I started out with fishing buggers and that was fun for a while The last couple of outings ive switched to the double bunny & Matuka patterns but looking for soming more wild and crazy looking.

Its seems the more wild and crazy the streamer is the more intense the strikes are ...Fun Stuff [Smile]
[signature]
is that because the males would be thinking the streamers would be smaller fish trying to take the females eggs?
[signature]
Absolutely. I tie them in Black Olive and Brown, but Brown is the most popular with black second.

It is Kelly's design with the Muddler style head. Just like the Zoo Cougar, Sex Dungeon.
The Egg Sucking Sculpin is a Woolly bugger back end, glow bug middle then a Muddler front end.
I tie them in #2 to #10
Here is mine:

[Image: IMG_1995.jpg]

And here is my Strawberry Sex Dungeon (Red and White)

[Image: IMG_2006-1.jpg]

Kelly also adds Lead eyes, where I did not. I added glue on, so no weight in the front of the fly. I will have to try it with weight.
[signature]
FG-
Good looking flies. Nothing funner than those big browns CRUSHING streamers...taking the rod out of your hand! I'm getting too excited...I've gotta quit. [sly]

-Rich
[signature]
Those are awesome !!! Wish my tieing skills were to that level [Wink]

Thats brings up another question since there no way I could ever tie something like that and keyllies flies can cost a pretty penny. Do you guys & gals use a heavy leader say 1x or maybe some 8lb mono ???
[signature]
I use 6 and 8 lb fluoro.
[signature]