Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CWMU Cow Hunt Success
For the the 3rd year in a row, someone from my group of hunting buddies has drawn this cow elk tag, and for the 3rd year in a row we have been successful. This year, luckily, it was me that drew the tag. [cool]

The morning found us getting out of the truck just after sun up to the sounds of several bulls bugling their head off less 1/2 mile away in several directions. Hookjaw and I worked our way down a ridge to where we could hear a bull, and about 800 yards in front of us was a small group of cows. We decided to try and put the stalk on them. After about 30 min of moving closer we came up above a rise to where I should have a good shot at a cow, just to see that they had worked their way another few hundred yards north. Again, we worked our way in that direction and got to within about 275 yards. I set up for a shot. I hesitated just a bit too long, and another group of cows came bustin in from the South and spooked the rest of the group... dang!

We met up with some other friends, one of which had also drawn the tag, and we worked our way towards the pines and quakies where we had seen the elk run to. By this time the sun was higher, and the elk had quieted down a bit. Hookjaw and a buddy decided they would make a push through the thicket, while we set up at the bottom of the canyon. About 45 minutes later, we started to see elk run through the trees. No shots for either of us. I thought that was our only chance at these elk, but about 5 minutes later, another group of about 40 busted through the trees about 220 yards from me. One of the cows slowed to a trot. I put the cross hairs on her, pulled the trigger and I heard "thwack!" The cow buckled a little, but did not drop. I chambered another round, aimed and fired again. This time she dropped like a sack of bricks. Just then I hear more shooting from the other tag holder. I waited a few minutes and made my way up to my cow. I was elated. My 1st big game kill!

The other tag holder had made a great shot on his cow and she was down and out as well.

Great hunt with great friends!!! [Smile]
[signature]
Congrats on your first big game kill! Should be some good chewing!! You will be hooked for life now![cool]
[signature]
Cool story! Congrats on getting your first animal down. I'm sure you'll love the grub.
[signature]
[inline "Tyler's Cow.JPG"]
[signature]