Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poppers
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: dumb.gif]If a trout will hit a mouse pattern or similar big surface flies, doesn't it stand to reason that they would be interested in a popper? Has anyone ever caught a trout species on a popper?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I had one hit a Heddon Baby Torpedo I was fishing for bass back in September. I swiped and missed a few times and finally slammed it. I'm sure if they would hit that, they'd hit a popper.
[signature]
trout.. no not yet.. bass and bluegill yes.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]When I was into spin fishing, a mepps lure was always a good standby. If you can fool them into hitting many different types of hardware including powerbait [ugh] why are they so particular when it comes to a fly?[/size][/#008000][/font][Image: dumb.gif]
[signature]
You have a good point there. When I was spin fishing,I always did good with cast masters. I think its the flash
of the metal and also the way it moves under water.
I caught all kinda fish on mast master.
I think they can feel the ''underwater waves" the cast
master makes.
When it comes to a popper for trout.......................never
caught one on popper but then again I have never
really try.
Warm water fish on popper all the time.

Peter
[signature]
spinning lures or the popper.. my brain just got Confused..LOL..

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: dumb.gif]You all know about a delicate presentation, yes? What the heck is so delicate about throwing hardware, like a fly will spook them, but they will check out a ½ oz spoon hitting the water like a rocket. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
hahahaha yeah, funny stuff.
Put a fly on the water and they run. Throw a kitchen
sink in the water and they all come to check it out.[Smile]

Peter
[signature]
Ive never been able to figure that one out either.. I mean a popper makes a noise and disturbs the water.. as does a mouse.. and many other flies.. yet some fish like that.. soooooo maybe it is species specific.. like bass and crappie arent spooked as easily as a trout???

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Well, lets see.
When I fish with a hopper (big one) I make sure that
I smack the water with it. If the water is off color then I make sure that I really smack the water. In most cases
it the fish are right there, they will take the fly immediately.
I'm talking all sunfish (gills, bass.......).
If there is no take then I let it sit for few seconds and after
that I will twitch it few times.
If still no take then recast and resmack the water[Smile]
Works very well for sunfish.
I was told that it also works for trout but dont smack
the water so hard.
I will try it next time Im on Owens River in summer time.

Peter
[signature]
I agree the bass and gils go after the noise or movement... but not sure on trout.. maybe thats why you never see a post of a trout with a popper in its mouth???

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
maybe that is why [Smile]
[signature]
put it this way... Ive seen more bass and gills go after something that was moving.. making a little noise than any trout... from what I have seen trout skitter away at a shadow or noise etc... but then again Ive not caught a trout on a fly yet... and maybe that is why..LOL...

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]So why does throwing iron with a spinning rod catch fish?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[quote macfly55]put it this way... Ive seen more bass and gills go after something that was moving.. making a little noise than any trout... from what I have seen trout skitter away at a shadow or noise etc... but then again Ive not caught a trout on a fly yet... and maybe that is why..LOL...

MacFly[/quote]

What ?? YOU HAVE NOT CAUGHT TROUT ON FLY
YET ????What are you talking about ?
[signature]
okay a couple of 2 or 3 inch ones in TN... lol.... forgot about those lunkers..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Another benefit of a DT is that you can reverse the line and Wala you have another new line. If you fish a lot of creeks or small weirs maybe one is only using 20' of line at the most. That might be including the leader & tippet. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
my guess is the same reason as stated before... Ive caught good size trout using live bait.. never spinners, or buzzbait, or plastics.. in the past I have however caught bass on all three, Ive gotten bluegill, crappie, crackjaw, and even a catfish on a fly.. and yes Peter a couple of small trout..

maybe bass and crappie and other sunfish have to locate the food by the noise it makes... if not then why would companies spend a fortune making their lures with so much noise and wiggling.. LOL..

MacFly
[signature]
Dryrod wrote:[/quote]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][/font][#008000][/#008000][size 3][/size]Another benefit of a DT is that you can reverse the line and Wala you have another new line. If you fish a lot of creeks or small weirs maybe one is only using 20' of line at the most. That might be including the leader & tippet. [/i][/size][/font][/quote]

That is very true about the reversing DT line.[Wink]
[signature]
macfly55 wrote:[/quote]
okay a couple of 2 or 3 inch ones in TN... lol.... forgot about those lunkers..

MacFly [cool][/quote]

Oh man !!!!
I need to kick your little butt all the way to Eastern Sierra
and put you on some real trout . lol [Smile]
[signature]