Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
weber report
fished the weber this morning with a very pleasant dude named chun (fishin4fun)

he pm'd me a day or so before and said he has never caught a brown over 19 inches and asked if i could take him out and possibly get him on a 20+ fish

so we met up around 830-9ish and we were on the water in a short time/. fished a section of water that is easily accessable and an area i know holds a population of fish from 20 to 25 inches.

he was a very talented fisherman and did very well twitchin the jerk bait i handed him.. after a mis-hap and a some internaly soaked waders in that freezing water could have called for a short trip ( luckily i keep a spare pair of neoprenes and old kicks in the jeep ) and a quick change we were off on our search for a beast.

we fished a mile section of water with decent success mostly with smaller browns on the jerk bait and bows on my plastics.. we finally came to a hole i know has a beast of a brown in it...

as chun walked up river working the stick bait i held back and put on a classic plastic, 3 inch salt and pepper tube .. my first cast gave me a glimpse of an 18 incher that decided he didnt wanna be caught... the second cast i let it sink all the way down with intent to crawl it back... when wham!!! i was hooked up with what i thought was a really really big brown... but to my dissapointment ( see first pic.)

further upstream we came to a productive spot with quite a few aggressive fish.. and he hooked up on his fish.. it was around the 22 inch mark!! unfortunatly it threw the bait and swam away i was tottally bummed but it happens.. in the same hole i caught our largest fish of the day ... a spawned out female around 21 or 22 inches that ate a 3 inch minnow type plastic .. very snake like.. she was quite deflated and continued deflating while we took the pic lol
on a good note the weather was clear and very nice and i was in good company.. nice to meet you man i look forward to another attempt at getten ya a nice brown!!

also:

the browns either stopped momentarily or they are done with the spawn... NO fish in the riffles and no fish on beds like there was last sunday. the fish were tight lipped and very weary and spooked...

as a total for the day we only caught around 10 maybe a few less im not sure. and most were quite small
[signature]
Good post as usual. Your the man!
[signature]
Very nice fishing with you joe! It was a pleasant day except for the first few hours I was wet and miserable. I would probably do better if my hands are not frozen. Thanks again for your wader and lure. We should definately do this again soon to catch my big brown!
[signature]
im free sunday, saturday night is my bday so ill be hung over, but ill fish
[signature]
nice brown trout
[signature]
Just one question. Did you return the guy from the first pic. unharmed or did you keep him for cooking. [Wink] [laugh] Actually, they aren't bad if you can get past the bones. [unimpressed] This from a guy that enjoys carp. [shocked] Really. [Smile]
[signature]
yes the sucker was realeased ... they play a big role in the ecosystem... a 5 inch sucker is a very healthy meal for my 30 in hooky that im gonna get. haha...
[signature]
spot on there about the size.... i tend to keep my 10 of them for the smoker, but only the much larger ones, going between 2 to 4lbs.
[signature]