Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soft Plastic Lures
Anyone making soft plastic lures and adding the scent before they are poured? I've always soaked mine in scent/oil and it works fine, but I have some people asking me to put the scent in the lure for them. Does it break down the plastic at all? Any other advice?
[signature]
I know how all of it works! Very smart fisherman can get some casts and make soft plastics anytime. I will provide the biggest cast fishing has seen with little man power and whole lot of medal. Fish fear me (don't for get it)
[signature]
I've been know to tinker with hot soft plastic,, among other hot molten materials..
One thing to consider is that any scents probably contain some water,, this is not a good thing in HOT pouring plastic... I would have to believe that yes, changing the chemical content of the plastic by adding extra chemical/scent would create problems as far as the plastic being broken down
Your much better off to simply soak your finished soft plastic lures in a mixture of water and the desired scent. Soft plastic absorb moisture very well and will retain the scent once dried again. As the lure is used afterwards the plastic again opens up a little in the water and releases the scent (more naturally in MHO)..
[signature]
You can add scent to your plastic when heated, just remember you must use an oil base scent, no water base scents can go into hot plastic as it will bubble and blow plastic all over you and your shop.
You don't really gain much by cooking the scent into the plastic as the plastic is not water solubale. Not much scent is dispersed from the plastic. You are better off adding the scent to the plastic baits when you package them.
Try the Carolina Lunker Sauce, this scent actually bonds to the plastic baits and has a longer dispersion rate than most other scents, also it is water soluble, much easier for the fish to smell than oil based scents.
Good luck and good fishing!
[url "http://www.maniaccustomlures.com"]www.maniaccustomlures.com[/url]
[signature]
Hello GetReelLucky,
I have been pouring soft plastics for years, and have added scents and salt into my plastics. All the scents I have added are Sticky Liquid and Yum... I have added the scent both before and after heating with no problems at all. If anything it acts like a plastic softener.
[signature]