Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keeping bait on a tube or toon
[font "Times New Roman"]I was wondering what other people do to keep bait on their tubes and toons. Also not for just a one day trip but what about if you are out for several days?[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]When the weather is cool it is not a big problem. When the weather is HOT it is a HUGE problem. There were a couple of times that my worms melted in the cup in the pocket of my tube. That got me to wanting to find something better. For a couple od trips in my FC4 I had a small cooler behind the seat. But that didn’t help my son Jacob out much. His tube does not have a trunk like mine. So he just had a few worms or pieces of cut bait and when his went bad or ran out he would come get more from me.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] Last summer I ended up being the one that always had the cooler to keep the worms or fish to use for cut bait. On one trip to Weiser I made a rack to put a larger cooler behind my FC4.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][Image: Theboat.jpg][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][Image: 26inchSlimjim.jpg][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]I have two coolers that fit in this holder. This bigger one is a little heavy for the tube. I did have about 10 pounds of morts, about 200 worms and a gallon jug of ice plus some drinks and water. This set up was ok but rode a little low in the back when I leaned back.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Most of the troubles show up for Jacob. A floating cooler might be a good option for him if I could find one.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][Image: Jacobssecondkitty.jpg][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] One the other guys I fish with has enough D rings to tie a small cooler to the side. The only problem is the ice in the bottles melts and a guy goes back to melted bait. Anyway I am starting to think about next summer and was just thinking about ideas. Ron[/font]
[signature]
The pockets on mine have velcro on the front and rear of them so I picked up a small recipe box that I will attach with a piece of velcro. This will give me enough room for the bait that I will need for that day.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Crawlers are simple. Keep them in a cooler with ice and they will stay healthy. Take out only a few at a time and then keep them in small soup-sized Thermos bottles...with a couple of ice cubes wrapped in plastic or blue ice packets. I always watch for those containers at yard sales or swap meets...or discount stores. I have quite a few of different sizes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For minnows or cut bait you use the same containers. Only you freeze everything you won't be using the first day and keep it on DRY ICE, inside a separate container. Take it out a bit in advance of needing it and thaw only what you are going to need. It will thaw quickly on warm days.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have a separate section in one freezer that holds a variety of different sizes of the refreezable "ice" packages. Some of that stuff holds freezing temps for a long time...and it does not melt and make a mess of everything else. I use small packets in my little bait containers and bigger ones in my bigger cooler.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bait is a big part of cat fishing. Keeping fresh bait can mean the difference between loading up and going home frustrated.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I agree with tubedude on the cooler idea. I have keep them cool by using a small cooler and that seemed to work. Of course if you are out for several days you can always dig some fresh ones each day.

Off the topic, I had a question about your light source there. Did you just use standard PVC pipe and put the flash light there? Are there waves where you fish. I want to try night fishing this summer myself, but where I will be fishing it often gets windy and I just don't want the flash light to get wet? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
I have one of those clamp on lights that are used on the bigger boats for running lights at night. It is battery operated and puts out a lot of light.
[signature]
[quote TubeFisherman]

Off the topic, I had a question about your light source there. Did you just use standard PVC pipe and put the flash light there? Are there waves where you fish. I want to try night fishing this summer myself, but where I will be fishing it often gets windy and I just don't want the flash light to get wet? Any info would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

We didn't have any lights on our tubes in those pictures. I do have a set of lights I do attach to my PVC tubes that have velcro on them. I attach the stick on LED lights to them. Ron
[signature]