Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring Turkey
My brother in law and I have decided that we saw WAY to many turkeys running around during the deer season. Neither one of us has ever been turkey hunting... EVER.

But how hard can it be really? Get a decoy or two... get one of those box calls....sit in the blind.... wait for some to come in... pick out a big one..... and then shoot. Right?

We will both be using scoped 12-gauge Remingtons with turkey barrels. What kind of shot should we use? What kind of signs should we be looking for? Do we really need all that camo gear if we are sitting in blinds? Being a newbie.. Is a box call our best choice?

Someone give us a clue as to what we are getting into here.

THANKS !!!!
Mike
[signature]
be verwy verwy quwiet
[signature]
The simplest way , spread some corn around the area . If you have one of those petco stores in the area bulk maggots or wax worms will be like setting a juicy new york strip steak out for them .

The call box is good , a slate box , heck I've even used a aluminum pot cover and a branch as a turkey call , you can even use a Mc Donalds coffee straw as a turkey call .

Practice with a call is a must . I'd suggest you guys go to youtube and look it up , plenty of videos there to show you how to do it .

Decoys , don't go cheep , the more lifelike the better .Turkeys have very keen eyesight and can pick up on the slightest movement and unnatural color . Cammo yourself up even in the blind (face paint and hands) .

For shot , Remington "Premier" magnum , max 1-1/2 #4 shot in the 2-3/4 shell , max 1050 BAR .
They come 5 or 6 in a box , olive green casing , and they aren't cheep .

I've got a 20 ga. turkey gun and my 870 with a turkey shot choke tube . This year I'll be using the bow for a change .

Turkeys usually roost at night in the highest area they can find , look for a tall tree on a hill , check underneath for droppings or feathers or simply get out before daybreak and listen for them coming down to get a general direction of where they are located . Set back a few hundred yards to scope out which way they travel when they come down and pick out an ambush spot .

You will see areas that look like buck scrapes , turkeys clawing the ground for food , always a sure sign your close to where you need to be .

Wild turkey tastes a whole lot better than a butterball in my opinion , just not as much meat .
Happy hunting !!!
[signature]
THANKS !!!
[signature]
I am a fall turkey hunter fan... I like pluckin pin feathers. [:p]

good luck on your hunt, bring us back a beard pic...
[signature]
My kid and I recived our hunt tags in the mail today [cool] !

This will be her first turkey hunt .
[signature]