Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My last 2009-10 hunt, the novel.
Well, here's the story. [Smile] Went 1-14 to the Weeb. for my last hunt with "the Sparkinator". Noticed some duckies at the S. end but they took off when I went to park. Decided to check back at that spot later. Went to the N. end and spotted a small flock and did my normal sneak. Jumped em and knocked a hen Mallard down and took another shot at one going about 40 mph up river and it acted like it was hit. (Didn't see any drakes in the group). [frown] Could have just not seen em??? Anyway, Sparky did his usual and took off full of enthusiasm, and barreled across the half frozen river and grabbed her on the bank under some brush. What a great dog!!!!! He spent some time on the return trying to find a good crossing with all the ice, he's afraid of ice, good thing, and finally figured it out and brought her up the bank to me, Gooooood dog. We mushed along up river, and sure enough after about 100yds, there she was on the opposite side on the ice, dead. Sent Sparky, and he immediately found her and headed back. He disappeared for about 10 sec.on the way back and when he appeared coming up the bank he was running on 3 legs with the left front hanging limp. [shocked]: **** Well, that's it, end of hunt. Don't have any idea what happened. :? Went home, took him to the vet and had x-rays, etc. apparently no bone damage, just soft tissue. Minimal activity for 6 weeks to heal properly. Well, had to go back Fri. to check out the S. spot for a proper ending, only without the Sparkinator. [frown] Did my sneak, no birds, decided to check the last spot and lo and behold, birds. [Smile][Smile] Took 4 shots (reloaded to dispatch a swimmer) and ended up with 4 golden eyes.!!!!! Also found a green wing teal up river a shor ways???? Not sure if it was one of mine but it was fresh/limp so------? Just don't know if it was part of the group and I had an accidental hit??? Any way, ended up with 4 golden eyes (a couple of doubles) and a teal. Sad, Sad, Sparky would have had a ball retrieving. [frown][frown] So that's the end of my novel. [Smile]

[inline early.jpg]

[inline later.jpg][inline results.jpg]
[signature]
Good job on the quackers. Way to wrap up the season.
[signature]
Nice job Fred! Too bad Sparky went down at the end of the season. Hope he heals up quick. Give him a good pat on the head for me.
[signature]