Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead Sunday 2-14-10
[font "Calibri"][/font][/font]Left the house at early the plan was pick up some bait and fish Crawdad Cove. [/font]
[font "Calibri"][/font][/font]Got to Sandy Cove bait shop just after 6:30 am, went in for some anchovies and was informed they were out as was the surrounding area (Wal-Mart and Albertson’s). So the lady running the shop called over to Laker plaza but nobody answered the phone. Next we drive all the way across the valley and buy seven bags of anchovies. Arrive at Crawdad around 8:00 and hike way out to a point and cut some bait/chum. One problem, the bag reads in big bold letters ANCHOVY but it’s all sardines, so we chum the area and make a few cast.[/font]
[font "Calibri"][/font][/font]Notice a few striper are blowing up on some trout and I brought my wake baits.[/font]
[font "Calibri"][/font][/font]This day is not going well and it gets worse because here comes the Ranger. He comes into the cove really fast in his dual engine center console Zodiac and proceeds to check everyone’s fishing license.[/font]
[font "Calibri"][/font][/font]He is totally messing up the cove driving the boat to each fisherman’s spot and finally to us.[/font]
[font "Calibri"][/font][/font]We show him we are in compliance and he zooms off to check more people.[/font]
[font "Calibri"][/font][/font]So now the big trout eating striper are gone the cove is stirred up.[/font]
[font "Calibri"][/font][/font]We fish for another 1-1/2 hours and nothing I’m getting tired of throwing hardware and no action.[/font]
[font "Calibri"][/font][/font]We head home just before 10:00am, not mad or grumpy but glad just to have gotten out and fished. [/font]
[font "Calibri"][/font][/font][/font]
[signature]
I'd try the Food for Less at corner of Boulder Highway and Lake Mead Blvd. Usually have anchovies at good price. Maybe also the WalMart in same shopping center

Too bad about the ranger putting the fish down....oh well
[signature]
I second the Wal-Mart suggestion. I got bags of anchovys there for something like $2.69...better than the $4.99 at most bait shops.

And the Ranger coming in and squashing the bite would peeve me too, but as you know, he's just doing his job. Personally I get more peeved at those people who fish with no license (not supporting our government outdoors programs), those who keep more than their limit (the guy with 15 trout in his bucket...that one REALLY gets me steamed[mad] because they're not only taking "striper food" out of the lake, but also depriving other people of their potential trout catching fun/limit), and boaters who have no idea what they're doing, are drunk, being irresponsible, or some combination thereof. I would rather have a Ranger turn off the fish for an hour or so, than have these people who could care less ruining the fishery and fun for others in Lake Mead.

Case in point...when Chad and I were out last weekend, we could have kept the 6lb'er and 2lb'er we caught...probably would have been good eating, but we released them, knowing we didn't need them for food, and hoping they would grow bigger! If we were one of those non-licensed, non-skilled, keep anything we catch, I don't give a *%$# about anything other than myself people (and we all see them out there), we probably would have kept them, and my filets would still be in my freezer, gathering frost...what a waste that would be! Rather have a 2lb striper back in the lake growing bigger, than have 2lb striper filets anyday. Actually having some forethought will help make Lake Mead fishing even better!

On the other hand, I'm not slamming those of you who are true sportsmen/women who go out there and get your limit of stripers or trout one day, and keep them. You have your license(s), you know the limits and regulations and abide by them, you boat/fish safely, and you know that you're only keeping what you will eat so they're not going to waste! That's the difference! Being responsible is key, and I applaud all of you who do that.
[signature]