Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WLG, Chick..New Water, Cats, 3-20-2010, Troy and Taylor (Little WLG)
Well..I just couldnt stand it any longer and gave in and went fishing today. the way the weather looked I figured I might as well take advantage of this beautiful day and go give it a try. I have been trying to figure this fishing thing out for several years and CFF has been the best thing thats came along in my lifetime to teach me the do's and dont's. I have been doing alot of listening to several very sucessful anglers on CFF and one of them is Mr. Drumking....Ive noticed that he pays close attention to the best fishing times according to the sololunar tables and I figure whenever I can stack the odds in my favor I will. So today..prime time was supposed to be from about 4 pm to 6:50 pm...so we put in at grasshooper at around 2:30 and did some scouting. There was one place in paticular that I wanted to be fishng at around 6 pm as that was supposed to be the peak or major movement....but we ended up scouting out some new water and we found some very fishy looking places and it seemed the fish were holding very tight to some structure on the bottom in about 30 ft of water. We precisely put our baits right in front of them and Bingo...around 4 pm we got into em! Now I will see what Dickie has to say here...but I think with the approaching front...the fish decided to feed about 2 hours early...4pm instead of 6 ???. Anyway I ran into drc while out there and he had been fishing the spot i was wanting to be at 6 and said he had not got a bite there all day...so it was hard for me to leave these fish I had found biting to go to the SPOT!! SO I didnt!! I stayed where I was through the 6 pm movement and did not catch another fish...but I did pull up anchor just before dark and ran to the other spot. The fish were there...but were not having none of our cumberland river skipjack at that time. Maybe had I went there during the prime time I might have caught them?? I will never know...but we had a great day!! I got to spend time with my little girl and my favorite bro in law...and we just had a ball!!! The fish catching was a family affair as Taylor needed a little assistance with reeling in her fish. Like I said the fish were holding very close to ALOT of structure and when they hit you had to get em outta there quick..before the got you hung up in there. Troy did lose one good fish as he was trying to let his neice reel it in and the fish got em around some structure and things went his way!!! Thats the reason I use 80 lb power pro with a Big mono leader so I can get them out of that stuff before they have a chance to wrap you around something...but sometimes....they still win!!! emoBang Water temps were anywhere from 48 in the main channel to 55 in grasshopper at the dock. Current was around 22k cfs at Chick dam and bait was big chunks of skipjack. Heres a few pics...the biggest one was 30 lbs...mine of course!!! emoBigSmile emoBigSmile Taylor also found some hungry freinds at the ramp that were just so interesting to her!! She had a blast and so did her Dad!! I will post a short video of her reeling one in a little later on. Enjoy!!