Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Boat!
I was planning on buying an aluminum fishing boat sometime next year, but a friend found a deal on a larger boat that I couldn't pass up. It is an older boat (which is why it was in my price range). It is a 1974 BRC Seaswirl open bow boat. It has a 165 HP Mercruiser inboard motor in it. I believe it is a 6 cylinder.
I have never used anything other than an electric trolling motor, so I am not really sure what I need to do to get this boat ready for the lake. I called a marina in Orem, and asked them, but they told me that no shop will work on, or service a boat this old. The guy I bought it from did all the work himself.
Is there anyone out there with an older boat that could give me tips on how to get my boat ready for the season? I would really like to give it a spring tune up, but I don't know anything about boats at this time. I realize it is kind of dumb of me to buy a boat that I know nothing about, but you gotta start somewhere, right? Any way, I would appreciate any tips on boat care, or maybe a suggestion of a shop, or person who works on older boats. Thanks!
[signature]
[quote Stubbs65]

It is an older boat... It is a 1974 BRC Seaswirl open bow boat. It has a 165 HP Mercruiser inboard motor in it. I believe it is a 6 cylinder.

[/quote]

Bite your Tongue [:p] mine is a 1964 and I consider it just barely broken in. Lee's Marine in Hyrum would probably work on it. A-Rock Propellers in Salt Lake will also probably work on it; however, my neighbor and I have had bad experiences with that shop and others have given them good reports.
[signature]
I have a 1976 Bayliner. I have had good luck with Brimhall Marine in Provo. I don't know where you are, but I would also second Lee's up in Hyrum if you live that way. I have learned though, if you want to save a LOT of money, get a manual and learn to work on it yourself.
[signature]
how long has it been since it was last running? I have a 78 tri hull that looks ugly but has run like a top after I went through it and did all the little maintenance things that were lacking. If you are a do-it-yourselfer, most of the issues are very similar to a regular car engine, change the fluids, Oil in the engine, oil in the outdrive, both are pretty easy except you usually have to pump the oil out of the dipstick hole (engine) unless you want to get creative and install a valve on the bottom of the oil pan. After that I generally fill up a big blue bin or tub with water and drop the outdrive in it making sure the intake holes are well covered and then start the engine and open the valve on the top of the engine to make sure water is pumping. Next I look for leaks around the seawater pump (usually on the front of the engine similar to a water pump on a car). If water is not circulating then it is probably time to replace the impeller on the seawater pump. If i don't see any leaks then I usually let the engine run for 10 minutes or so or until i see the engine temp gauge jump and I know the water is circulating well. Finally I turn the boat off and check the engine oil a second time and make sure it looks good (no bubbles or milk shake appearance, if it does that would mean the boat was not properly winterized and has a crack in the engine block or water has somehow gotten in the oil). If all these check out then I take it out on the lake for a good lake test and make sure there are no leaks (or at least no more than the normal little ones that are usually there). Good luck man I have really had good times with my little old boat,
Jed B
[signature]
The last time the boat was running was last september before the previous owner winterized it. I live in the provo area, so I am glad to hear that there is a shop close by that can work on my boat if I get stuck. I do not have a large tub to dip the prop in, but the previous owner mentioned that I could hook a garden hose up to the boat and start the motor. I'm not quite sure how that works, but I would like to fire it up and make sure it is running smooth before I take it to the lake for the first time. The only issue I know of that I am going to have to fix is a short in the reverse drive. The previous owner told me that 50% of the time, he had a difficult time getting the boat to go into reverse. I am hoping this is not a huge problem. He told me that he thought it was a short in the electrical somewhere. I found a ground wire on the prop that is frayed pretty badly. I'm hoping that might be the short. I'm currently looking for a manual for my boat, and hopefully that will help familiarize me with how the boat works.
[signature]
To use a garden hose you need "ear muffs" they are a pair of suction cup looking things that go over the intake slots on the outdrive with a garden hose attachment on one of them. I am not sure how your transmission works on yours but there is nothing electrical about it on mine. It is all mechanical. Mine has a hard revers sometimes but it is due to my hitting a floating tree while going across soldier creek on strawberry. It popped the outdrive loose, but I was able to find the offending part on the back of the outdrive and bend it into place. Now it usually works fine,
Jed
[signature]
I just contacted Brimhall marine, and he said the same thing. He doesn't think it is electrical at all. I was hoping it would be as easy as fixing a frayed wire, but it looks like I may have to dig a bit deeper. Thanks for all the input everyone. It really helps a guy like myself who has no clue about boating.
[signature]
almost any info you would need to tune up is on youtube i was paying $230 to have my boat summerized found step by step videos on youtube i do it myself now
[signature]
Welcome to the "B.O.A.T" club!

[#ff0000]B[/#ff0000]reak [#ff0000]O[/#ff0000]ut [#ff0000]A[/#ff0000]nother [#ff0000]T[/#ff0000]housand
[signature]
I have a 1975 Johnson outboard (just a little guy 9.9hp). But Doug from Doug's Marine in Orem was able to get me my new recoil spring when I needed it last year. He also said he would do the work, though I did it myself. Just thought I would throw another possible option out there if you need a Utah county shop. Good luck
I just bought my little boat (first one) last summer. I have been loving it, and wife has been hating it, ever since.[Wink]
[signature]
[quote bowhunter3] I just bought my little boat (first one) last summer. I have been loving it, and wife has been hating it, ever since.[Wink][/quote]

Same thing exactly at my house! Bought my 30 year old Crestliner last summer and the spouse has been growling at me ever since.

And I'm taking it and 2 buddies to Flaming Gorge- leaving Mother's Day...
[signature]
I would also suggest Best Boat Service, a mobile service that will come to your house. There were a couple of people on here that had mixed reviews of them last year as they were ramping up their business. However, I found that, working with the owner, they did far more than expected to make things right and ensure customer satisfaction. I ended up spending a couple thousand on my boat last year (transmission part of outdrive had to be rebuilt and fuel system completely re-worked), but it ended up being probably a couple thousand less than a regular shop would have charged. You can find him advertising on KSL classifieds all the time.

If it was run as recently as last Sept, and the previous owner properly winterized it, it probably doesn't need much. Hook it up to water and start it up to see how it runs, then go from there. Don't start it without hooking up to or putting it in water as you will instantly burn up the impellar (probably not a bad idea to replace that anyway).

The reverse thing could be an interesting problem. It could be something as simple as bending a connection back into place ($0) or it could be as bad as a bad gear (a lot of money to dig in and replace).

Good luck and welcome to the money pit!
[signature]
[quote Stubbs65]. The previous owner told me that 50% of the time, he had a difficult time getting the boat to go into reverse. I am hoping this is not a huge problem. .[/quote]

If an outdrive is anything like the lower unit on my outboard, the shifting is all mechanical and there is a cam that rotates to position the shifter forks. On my motor last summer, I had to replace that cam because it had broken. The original was a plastic material and the replacement was steel so it should last forever.

I would try locating your sterndrive here: [url "http://www.iboats.com/Sterndrive-Engine-Parts/dm/cart_id.805203640--session_id.453712691--view_id.268707"]http://www.iboats.com/Sterndrive-Engine-Parts/dm/cart_id.805203640--session_id.453712691--view_id.268707[/url] and taking a look at the shifter mechanisms to see if you can locate a likely failure source.
[signature]
Get ahold of Kevin @ Jones Marine in Payson if thats close to ya. The guys down there are awesome with the older boats and way honest.
[signature]
[quote Old_Coot]Welcome to the "B.O.A.T" club!

[#ff0000]B[/#ff0000]reak [#ff0000]O[/#ff0000]ut [#ff0000]A[/#ff0000]nother [#ff0000]T[/#ff0000]housand[/quote]

thats an understatment!!
[signature]