Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help in McCall
I am camping with my family in Mccall and my kids are itching to go fishing. They are 9 and 6 so have an attention span of fruit fly.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I could take them fishing? I have no idea how to fish Payette lake from the shore with the kids or where to go. I have read that its good for bass but my kids are not quite skilled enough to cast and retrieve.

Any suggestions as to where I can take them or how to fish from the shore on Payette lake? We are camping in Ponderosa park. Cant seem to find any fishing reports.
[signature]
I don't fish Payette lake but my wife takes my son there with friends a few times a year. They fish off the docks at Whitetail and the City Park with worms and always catch fish. Also the outlet. I'd think you could catch planters just about anywhere with some powerbait tossed out. Good luck to ya!
[signature]
If you didnt mind the drive you could always run down and fish cascade for perch. we were catching them 2 at a time on a single pole last year
[signature]
Scout out where other prople are bank fishing and spread a lil distance.

Good Luck!
[signature]
I have fished Payette regularly for most of my life! I wouldn't even bother with fishing it off the shore. It is mainly kokanee and macs, and you really need a boat. Probably your best bet is either perch at Cascade as previously mentioned, or Horsethief, which has been planted heavily. You could run to Upper Payette Lake, and fish it off the shore. We have fished it right by the boat ramp with some success. There are also several ponds, such as Brown's Pond, which might have been planted at this point. Ask locally. Mike
[signature]
Everyone's advice is right on...kids and Cascade = happy days! I also hear Goose lake is full cookie cutter trout that can be caught by the kids from the bank.
[signature]
For many years, my inlaws owned a cabin in McCall right next to Payette Lake. Almost every summer we would spend a week or so at the cabin in the middle of the summer. I recall one day, while we were playing in the water by the beach, a mack swam by and grabbed and ate a large chunk of uncooked hot dog that someone had thrown into the water. I was very surprised to see a mack swim by that close to shore and even more surprised to see it eat a hot dog. Maybe you should try fishing from the shore with a hot dog.[:/]
[signature]
So, I did the old stand-by and went to the nearest tackle shop and asked about where to find some fish. Like most mentioned, fishing from shore on Payette like may not be the most productive.

We were gi8ven directions to Browns pond. After a short hike, we were catching trout fast enough that I didnt get a chance to fish much. Bait hook, cast, give the pole to one of the girls, bait hook, cast give pole to other girl. Repeat.

The girls had a blast. I didnt get to fish much but in the end thats not what matters.
[signature]
I love fishing but sometimes helping out the little ones have fun fishing is much more rewarding. Congrats on a good time.
[signature]