Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wounded Warriors Fishing Day Has Hit A Snag
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Okay, here’s the deal. We can do the event if no donations of any kind are part of the package. And that would mean that we could just line up enough boats to take “X” number of veterans fishing. That would also mean that we could not solicit donations of equipment/tackle to give to the veterans, food and drink, to give them a meal, or cash to pay the pavilion rental fee at the lake. If any donations were collected, the person collecting them would technically have to declare them as income on their federal tax return for the year they received them. And when the items were transferred to the veterans, the veterans would have to also claim them on their income tax return. I know, I know; it sucks big time. That’s why it HAS to be run through a charitable organization. Riverdog is correct about it being controlled by the IRS. Utah just requires that you be registered with them to make the solicitations.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4][/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Actually the state agency was very helpful in explaining all this to me and suggesting a way around it by working through an organization that is already registered with the IRS as a charitable unit. And that’s why I tried the DAV first. And it’s very possible that what Riverdog said about it being in the mission statement is also correct and part of the reason that they had to decline.[/size][/#800000][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]As much as I want to see this event take place, I’m not willing to take on the burden of soliciting the donations and including them as part of my taxable income and then passing on a similar burden to the veterans. I also will not try to hide such an undertaking from the IRS by doing it on the sly.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]I’m still hopeful that a workable solution can be found to make this happen, but if it’s going to happen under my feeble leadership, it will be done legally and in accordance with both state and federal laws.[/size][/#800000][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]I know there are several Wounded Warrior events held around the country every year. If you’ve ever been involved with such an event, please help us with a little research on your part and point us in the right direction. I’m in Texas trying to compete in the World Skeet Shoot this week and it is taking most of my time and attention at present. Plus, I’m trying to break in a brand new computer that I was forced to buy the day after I got here because my old one died. I should be in better shape in about 2 weeks when I’m back home and have all my programs re-installed.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to provide.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."