Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody get a buck yet??
I was wondering if anybody got their buck yet? If you do lets see the pictures. I'm still waiting for the pictures to be developed so I'll guess once I get them I'll post them. Just a hint were it was killed way north. I can't help but laugh when I see all the non-locals hunting the southern part and they don't have a clue whats in there own back yard.
[signature]
i am a northern, and i kbnow exactly what lurks in my back yard, well, front yard for that matter( i live in wasatch). my fried gopt a 5 pointer out by strawberry yesterday, no picks from me, but i will try.
[signature]
I seen a 5x4 and 4x4 together yesterday and it is real close to home ( SLC ) . Only thing is I only take pictures of them . Got with in 20 feet of them but I didn't have camera . Bummer !!
[signature]
Hedgesd, I agree with you that the hunting is awesome up north, but it's been my experience that in the Northern Region that you need to almost either own land or be related to someone that does to have enough area to hunt. I usually get a NE tag because I often don't have the time to go too far, but the one year that I had to get a northern tag because I waited too long, I saw lots of deer, but they were all behind no trespassing signs.
[signature]
I just returned from a week of hunting. I saw 12 bucks, but no "shooters". Was a fun trip. I'll probably head out another day or two to try again.

I hunt the cache/rich areas, and the deer numbers up there are actually quite pathetic. We used to see 20-30 deer a day, now I usually only see 4-8 deer a day. Part of the blame lies in the drought, and a very cold winter 2 years ago, but the biggest culprit (IMHO) lies in piss-poor range management of cows and sheep. My biggest gripe with a Republican pres, they let too many damn sheep and cows up there during drought years. I have no problem with public grazing permits, but when the cattlemen have to haul 10,000 gallons of water, 3 times a week to fill ponds, then the cattle shouldn't be there any more. The permits need to be regulated according to the range condidtions. The feed conditions are extremely poor, and the deer and elk can't fatten up before the winter. I saw numerous does that didn't have any fawns with them. That doesn't look good for the long term. Elk numbers in the area have also been on the decline. Despited the DWR and their insistence that elk numbers are improving, they cut the number of cow permits by 1/3 in the area I hunt. So just by thier own numbers, the elk herd in that particular area is also smaller. The really Sad part is, that this area is fairly close to Hardware Ranch.

Enough rambling.....I hope others out there have a good hunt.
[signature]
well hedge i didnt hear your story. so tell me about you deer story big guy.
[signature]
I'm not going drown out this post because I'm pissed about some idiot from SL county and what happened to my hunt. I'm going to show this picture of what my little bro. got.
[signature]
hey hedge

just pm me about your hunt im curious to hear about it. that is a nice buck your bro got. im jealous.
[signature]
That was one hell of a buck! Tell your little bro. way to go! I'm waiting to get into the Manti next week on my little bro's Elk hunt. Lucky little bugger got a CWMU tag in his first year! Anyway, I know of a couple of nice bucks up there... not tellin where till I get a crack at em! I just don't know if their quite as big as the one in that pic, though.
[signature]
Ya I wouldn't complain either. I asked my brother how long it's going to take before he gets it back from the shop. 7-8 months, I couldn't believe it. I guess it's because they don't inject them with chems anymore. Well maybe the little ones. The poor kid will see it after he get back from his mission.

The funny thing is how many people ask if it's a elk.

Hey Xman I sent that PM.
[signature]
Does anybody know much to costs for a bleached set of horns to be stained with a skull mount. I got a 36 inch buck that needs a place on the wall.

My brothers mount cost $450 for a full shoulder mount.
[signature]
I had a full shoulder mount done at bear river tax. in wanship. he was about $100.00 cheaper than the places I called in saltlake and it only took 6 mos. instead of a year. my mount came out great!
[signature]
Nice buck, my son wants to try bow next year. This is his first year of being able to hunt deer at all. So we will see after he gets his first deer what he thinks. He already has a bow, right know it is set easy for shooting carp.
[signature]
If all you want is color restoration and/or euro type mount or skull cap mount you can easily do it yourself. I've done all of my own euro's. PM me and I'll provide all the details if you are interested. Otherwise it'll probably cost $150 - $200!! I'd be happy to help save you that money though... Let me know if you're interested.[Wink]
[signature]
So how much did that cost Fishnpro. I've seen some of the work the guy in Panguitch lake does and it worth ever penny? I can get a head done for about $100 if I do it my self or let a friend of mine do it for $250 and get it back in 4 months or less.

Icefool The only thing I would recommend to do is practice, practice, and then practice even more. If he's serious about doing it join the local archery club and get a 3-D target.
[signature]
Here's a picture of the buck my wife got, its not quite the same caliber as your little bros buck but its a beauty just the same.
[signature]
That is a very respectable buck. Tell her congrats.
[signature]
Thats a good buck that everybody but Chuck Adams would appreciate. I love velvet bucks and consider them more of a trophy then a bigger polished buck. I'm sure you expected this but what unit/mountain did she get that from.

Tell her way to go.
[signature]
I did expect it. She drew a limited entry tag for the Thousand lakes unit. We spent nine days down there and saw a lot of really good Bulls I wish I had an elk permit. Now that her hunt is over I get to start mine (on public land) If I shoot a little one, its going to be awefully hard to explain to my friends why my wife showed me up.

Oh well I'm a fisherman, we're notorious for BS. I'll simply say that I'm a conservationist and I'm mearly thinning the heard of a smaller seemingly unimpressive buck and leaving the big bucks to insure that the gene pool remains strong for the future quality of our next generation of hunters.

RIGHT!
[signature]
Now thats quality, are you sure you're not a politician?

[Wink]

sm
[signature]