Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
so ,rats are safer than.......
Trained hawks employed to keep pigeons from making a mess on visitors in a Manhattan park have been grounded because one of the birds mistook a chihuahua as its lunch.

A 56-centimetre hawk swooped down and gouged the diminutive pooch with one of its talons while the dog was nosing around in the bushes of Bryant Park, located behind the New York Public Library.

The hawk was quickly separated from the dog. A park employee flagged down a cab so the dog's owner could take it to a vet, said Richard Dillon, vice president of security for Bryant Park.

The programme, which aims to scare pigeons out of the park, could be finished. A final decision is expected by the end of the week.

"I sincerely believe the bird mistook it for a rat because it was in the shrubbery," said Thomas Cullen, the falconer hired to run the anti-pigeon program.

The hawk, named Galan, was taken to Cullen's headquarters in Goshen, New York.

The Bryant Park Restoration Corp. picked up the vet's bill, Cullen said.

Daniel Biederman, executive director of the Bryant Park group, said the hawk programme has been a success since it was started in April, with pigeon infestation down 50 per cent and fewer complaints from visitors.

However, city Parks Department officials called for its end.

"We place the safety of park users, including their pets, over any minor inconvenience that may be caused by pigeons," said spokeswoman Megan Sheekey.

[signature]
if the rat terrior had been under the watchfull eye of the owner properly atached to a 6 foot leach this would not be an issue.

I think the dowg owner should have been ticketed and the fine waved as sentance was exicuted by the hawk.

if the park was concerned for the safety of park walkers as they said thay would not be allowing dogs to run loose in the park.
[signature]
my feelings are the same , where was the leash ? and how does having a rat infested park with dogs running around loose seem a lot safer for the kids by these guys making that decision ? i know i wouldn't be able to have a good nights sleep knowing i passed such a resilution .

common scence has left the house should be that towns new motto .
[signature]
I WILL AGREE ON THAT ONE!!! YESSA 99% OF THE TIME IT IS THE DOG OWNER. i have to keep mine on a lead when we go somewhere, but why is it there is always these certain few that think their special?? and their dog doesn,t need to be on a lead, and their gonna do what they want and to heck with the other ones that do go by the rules, somethin happens and they blame everyone else but themselves.and it isn,t the dogs fault.or the hawks! so who,s left haha it ain,t no different than some with kids. too bad,hear ya! and of course the hawk is only doin what comes naturally, he thought he was doin his job, and seems though the park should of had signs out statin this is what they were doin to take care or pigeons and that dogs will be on leads.too! i vote fer the hawk!
[signature]
haha yep! common sence has left the buildin!! haha maybe they just ought to let them piegeons ---on their heads. be cheaper then the dogs can ---everywhere and they,ll be back to square one. they can have it on their heads and on their feet too. hahahahaha least they,ll match! on both ends! hahaha got me goin! maybe be lucky enough to have them makin the decisions standin there lookin up, when somethin else is comin down. haha the park won,t be full. nobody,ll be goin! hahaha gone to the dogs and the rats, hahaha nope and the kids won,t be goin either!bunch of idiots. sounds like windsor. hahaha
[signature]
yep , goes cto show that the right thing to do ain't the easyst thing fer them government people !
[signature]
[size 2]Airports have been using Hawks to keep unwanted birds out of the landing strips/runways,etc for a long time.[/size]

[size 2] When I was in the Air Force March AFB used hawks to keep pigeons, sparrows and seagulls away.[/size]

[size 2] They would fly into the air intake and jam the engine resulting in a crash or emergency landing.[pirate][/size]

[size 2] There are several products on the market to control birds like spikes, electric strips, traps and noise makers.[Wink][/size]

[size 2] I actually sold some of these products for a short time.[/size]

[size 2] I feel for the dog owner because I am too but my dog stays on a leash unless in my yard. Plain and simple[Wink][/size]

[size 2] I also would of noticed a gaint hawk swooping down after my dog![shocked][/size]
[signature]