Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mantua report!
Hit mantua today with Bryce ( wildcat94) fished from 2-430 and put a hurt on them as usual. Iced over 100 fish . All came on green flies with waxies. Mostly perch in the 4 to 8 inch range. But we did get probably 25 trout and 20+ gills. Biggest Gill was 10" . I'm having a hard time believing Anyone is having slow days up there! !
[signature]
ive been there twice now and have caught nothing, but i attribute this to being fairly new to the ice fishing game.
[signature]
What part of the lake have u been fishing? Sometimes it takes alot of moving but we haven't had less than 80-100 every trip so it pays off!
[signature]
I have had good success too, always catching fish. It's been fun there this year.
[signature]
We've had good success too, but not 100 fish days. I've been on the ice at mantua 4 times and have caught bluegill, perch, trout and bass everytime out. The bite is very small so you gotta be on your toes, at least with the perch and gills
[signature]
Sounds like a good trip. I've got a spot you need to come try with me some time.
[signature]
I've been three times, not once a skunk (wohoo) and have steadily increased my catch each time. I hope that upward trend continues.

What did the bass hookup on? I'd seen some on the camera - but they seemed more interested in attacking the camera, than my lures.

Hoping to hit it Friday afternoon (probably) and Sat Morn for sure (unless Hyrum has capped, or if we try Newton).

To the original post - you guys seems to always have them dialed in at Pineview, guess Mantua on ice is no different. Thanks for the post. Good to know they are still hittin' for someone!

Anyone fished closer to the inlet? I've been out by the point mostly, but wondering how folks have done closer to the parkinig/road from the S - East side. Tia.
Hyrum is good from the beach east. A good 4 inches of ice. I will hit it in the morning probably.
[signature]
I was there on Friday, New Years Eve. Me and my Son in Law were in my tent knocking them dead and we could hear everyone complaining outside around us as to how awful it was and that they were not biting. It is a finess thing. The bite is so light you had to have spring bobbers and really pay attention to the hit just off the bottom.We brought home 53 good size Gills. We had to have released around twice that many.
[signature]
Exactly! !! U gotta have a noodle rod or wire indicators.. and u gotta trigger them to strike, yesterday they would Not hit a dead sticked rod. . They wanted it moving. And Think small and. Green when it comes to jig selection. ..
[signature]
Right you are.
We were using a small green Ratfinkee 8" below a silver Castmaster tipped with a wax worm. Now the cats out of the bag, Look out Mantua.
[signature]
I believe ya Catman, I've had 100+ fish catching days too, that's what makes me keep coming back. Don't have to post pictures to prove anything. I do use the ultra light rods to feel the bite, never used the indicators before. People have said they are a hassle, are they or are they worth their weight in gold? I've been using the ICE 55 flasher and I can attest to the fact that you indeed catch more fish using them than not. Keep on fishing brother!
[signature]
I really like the wire indicators. I won't fish without them. My friend has a flasher and they are amazing! It's definately on my list of fishing gadgets I need to get.
[signature]
So - what gets the Perchlets to latch? Even though the bites and takes are light, the Gills seem more aggressive than the Perch.

But I likes Perch too! I've got some different, smaller- pink/red patterns to try on them.

In finding WallyWorld.S out of Waxworms - I was told the perch like the little tiny cocktail shrimp. But can you even get those raw? Do they care?

I've used raw shrimp for cat-fishing, for sure. Competes well with worms. Anyone try shrimp for perch?

Got a tail of Night Fishing at Willard. Anyone try the afternoon/evening shift at Mantua? I used to hit 'em hard (for me) at dusk in summer/fall.
I had success catching perch and gills with a pink 1/80 oz. round jig head (jammin jigs [url "http://www.jamminjigs.com/"]www.jamminjigs.com[/url]) and I forget the name of the small pink plastic body I put on them. There is a picture below and you can get them at sportsmans. I tip it with a waxie and fish one crank off the bottom. I hope that helps.
[signature]
I am going to hit Hyrum in the morning and most likely Mantua tomorrow afternoon into the evening. I will let you know how that goes.
[signature]
Smith and Edwards has those also. One crank off the bottom is where I sit too. I have always had good success and will go back tomorrow evening, hopefully, to try to land some more gills.
[signature]
The wire indicator is a must for me for sure! My basic setup has been a simple tandem ice fly setup with about 16 inches between flies bottom fly with a waxie top fly with a perch eye ( You will double your trout with the eye) the perch will hit both. . The bite is ultra light and alot of hits are on the lift from the bottom or on the fall from after a short hop. Keep the bait moving with 10 second pauses between jigging. Also hug the bottom !! Fish no higher than a few inches up. .. I am headed up Friday I think if Anyone would like to meet up.
[signature]
Do you tie your top ice fly directly onto the line or use a second piece of leader to get that top ice fly? I am constantly trying one or the other to find the best way.
[signature]