Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bass 'yakin
I fished for the first time out of a kayak on the 30th. I liked how fast it went but I hated that I couldn't stay in one spot. I fished Lake Bastrop, outside of Austin, Texas. Water temp was 68* (Power plant discharge side of lake) and air temp was 74*, an absolutely beautiful way to end January. Fishing was tough because I was not used to the kayak but I still managed some fish. I think I will stick to my kick boat or my boat.
[inline "Bastrop 1-301-11 0191.jpg"]
[inline "Bastrop 1-301-11 0271.jpg"]
[inline "Bastrop 1-301-11 0291.jpg"]
[signature]
That is sweet. Good to see pics like that in February. Come on spring.
[signature]
[quote fsh4fun05] I fished for the first time out of a kayak on the 30th. I liked how fast it went but I hated that I couldn't stay in one spot. I fished Lake Bastrop, outside of Austin, Texas. Water temp was 68* (Power plant discharge side of lake) and air temp was 74*, an absolutely beautiful way to end January. Fishing was tough because I was not used to the kayak but I still managed some fish. I think I will stick to my kick boat or my boat.

[/quote]I'm not the most experience person with a kayak, but I do know about canoes and regular boats. In fact I do know you should not post photos with you in a kayak or even a canoe without wearing your PFD. You should be showing example to our younger people. Here in Falls lake NC we just had a drowning of a man that was not wearing his PFD he was 39 yrs young and left a family behind. You need to think what your doing before you go and post, this younger generation copies and tries to out do everyone. It's nice to see you catch a nice bass but please wear your PFD if not for you but your family. Also I know it is Illegal to paddle without wearing your PFD, State and Federal law.
[signature]
I don't do yaks but now you got me wanting warmer weather.[cool] Come on spring!!!!
[signature]
I admire your passion and I am sorry to hear about such a tragedy. I have been boating since I was a child, I own a 20' "regular boat", three kick boats, a float tube and anything else that can get me out on the water I'm willing to try. I am not immune to such an incident such as you described but I I am familiar with the laws and there is no federal requirement to wear a pfd while kayaking. No argument, it's a good idea. I had one with me at all times and I wore it while in the open water. Before you lecture on the laws of kayaking you should be aware of the rules yourself. I am not looking for an argument, I just do not appreciate the lecture. The glass is half full, perhaps you are looking at it half empty.
[signature]
I have to agree with you about the laws, I was going by rules they insisted years ago when I first learn how to use a kayak. But my biggest thing and your correct I should have check the laws. But I believe you should have put a little thought in the pose you did and then posting on the internet for the new younger generation that is picking up everything we do and try to out do us. I just don't want to see or hear about another drowning due to not wearing his or her's PFD's. I hope this clears up this situation about the thread. I do apologizes for not checking into your state laws also you had a friend with you to help in case of a emergency. But you have to see my point about the PFD and my intentions was about safety not starting a argument. But the way nice catch, your lucky being in the warm area we are in the low 20's and 40's during the day.
[signature]
[quote fsh4fun05] I fished for the first time out of a kayak on the 30th. I liked how fast it went but I hated that I couldn't stay in one spot. I fished Lake Bastrop, outside of Austin, Texas. Water temp was 68* (Power plant discharge side of lake) and air temp was 74*, an absolutely beautiful way to end January. Fishing was tough because I was not used to the kayak but I still managed some fish. I think I will stick to my kick boat or my boat.
[/quote]

I have never tried kayak fishing, and being 40, I am wondering how comfortable it would be on one's backside after a while. Did you find it comfortable or did you find certain parts falling asleep?
[signature]
The kayak I used was great on the bottom, my back was killin' me! The back of the seat was hard plastic with a foam pad, not bad but the arch of the plastic did not fit me right. My buddy's kayak was much more comfortable than mine but the back rest was adjustable.
[signature]