Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
perch jerkin @ PV
Headed up to pineveiw on Sunday, and absolutely killed the perch at least 200. Best depth was 25 - 30 ft fished cemetery point area, everyone I talked to hadn't done nearly as well as us. . Hiked to unfished water and Caught an uncountable number under 8 inches, brought home 30 from 8 to 10.. best baits were forage minnows, pimples, And buckshott spoons with a ratso dropper above, tipped eyes, waxies, and fresh water grass shrimp. Shrimp and waxies worked best it seemed.
[signature]
Sounds like ya got on them pretty good. Goes to show - if they ain't biting, move around, right?!

I gotta ask - fresh water grass shrimp? Sounds like something that belongs in Sushi more than on a hook. You've got some well fed perch in your pile dontcha!

So no crappie? I really gotta get over there and try that ice. What time were you out?

Anyway - thanks.
Fresh water grass shrimp? never used those before. Where do you get them and how much are they?
[signature]
Uncle Josh brand sells them pre packaged at Walmart! ! Lol they are great for all panfish and trout. . Also can buy fresher frozen type at PETCO comes in a frozen brick. . I believe those are saltwater but those little micro shrimp work amazing! !!
[signature]
had the same experience. not many people catching. but we where nailing them left and right at the same depths. talked to a few different people and most of them said they hadn't caught anything. we caught 40 to 50 in 2 hours. maybe not even 2 hours.
[signature]
How much do they cost and can you refreeze them? Thanks for the info.
[signature]
Sounds like a fun day! Thinking of heading up on Sunday. How thick is the ice? Still solid enough for a snowmobile?
[signature]
I would say like 9-11 inches or so.. tons of atvs out there. ... as for the shrimp yes u can refreeze them if I remember right its like 6 bucks for a brick?
[signature]
[quote Utcatman]I would say like 9-11 inches or so.. tons of atvs out there. ... as for the shrimp yes u can refreeze them if I remember right its like 6 bucks for a brick?[/quote]

Aawww - you're talking about the ice. And I thought you were quoting the size of your perch. Was hopeful! [laugh]

Was at Wallyworld in the fishing section, and was directed to get the little cocktail shrimps for perch bait. I'm guessing these are indeed your Grass Shrimp?
I could only finder bigger shrimp in the food section.

Are these sold as people food or pet food? I'll have to try again. Have used the regular shrimp with good success for catfishing.

So they come frozen or canned? Cooked or raw?
(do you dip 'em in cocktail sauce before dropping down? haha - maybe some trout or worm gravy.)
Well I have seen several perch from 10-13 inches caught at pv this yr ... and as for the shrimp they Come prepackaged and are sold as fishing bait they are right by the power bait and gulp products, uncle Josh is the brand I think. .. they make stink bait as well as prepackaged frogs and dads. .. the frozen ones are sold as fish food at PETCO.. I know the harrisville Walmart has the uncle Josh ones...
[signature]
Thanks I will have to give those a try
[signature]
Here's my big one this year...
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
Thanks Utcatman thanks for the fishing report and ice conditions. Sounds like you really a great day on the ice and

WOW boat guy thats a dandy perch Man I need a day off so I can get down there and do some fishing soon.
[signature]
Now THAT's more like it!

Looks like a Starvation Perch - was that from PV?

I like your measuring device. Half tube of PVC with a stop-end, and measuring tape?

Does it slice and dice too?

RE: Grass shrimp
I didn't find them at Wallyworld, but did find them at [url "http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_30527_100008004_100000000_100008000?cm_ven=bazaarvoice&cm_cat=RLP&cm_pla=30527&cm_ite=description_link"]BassPro[/url] and [url "http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=56544"]Sportsman'sGuide[/url] (sold out). I'll have to check our other Wally's.
Looks like they come "preserved" not frozen. About $4 for a package of 36 (@Basspro).

So some of the reviews complain they are hard to put on a hook, or don't stay on a hook.
Caught it at Pineview on the south bank between Cemetery Point and the Narrows. 58' of water.

The measuring device is 4" pvc pipe with a flat end cap. I bought the tape at Cabela's. I was able to make two of them.
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
How do you release that many perch caught in that deep of water without them dying? All the ones that I have caught from that depth have their air bladders sticking out of their mouths! Just a thought..... I think they call that chumming for tigers.....
[signature]
Check out [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/Utah_Fishing_General_F58/gforum.cgi?post=645311;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]this post[/url] from Tubedude, about half way down (post 18) the page he posts again with an invention for this purpose attached as a pic.
[signature]
The majority were caught in 26 Ft very few spit out there air bladders and I did keep the ones That did. . .
[signature]
So you use the weight on a rod and hook it through the jaw of the fish and lower it back to the bottom and then lift the rod to pull it out of the fishes mouth?
[signature]
Yup, Simple stuff. You can also make a simple version with a paperclip and a worm or similar weight. Attach weight on one side of unraveled paperclip, make a loop in the middle to tie line on and then a 1" bend in the end for the fishes lip. It will send them straight down and just give a tug to release. You may have to adapt a little or put some zigs zags in the clip with the lip in it to prevent the fish falling off too soon, but it works great.
[signature]