Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Direction of transponder on fish finder
I have the cuda 300 I bought about a year ago. I fished a bit with it but it seemed to cause more frustration than anything else. It would tell me depth and water temp, but not show me the bottom or structure. If I turn the sensativity up it will show a ton of fish that I know are just algea or something. I was thinking, does it matter which direction the transponder is facing? I had the wedge part facing forwards. Thought it was more aerodynamic or something. Does that matter?

Jason
[signature]
Mine points forward, but I am kicking. rowing, motoring backwards. Like a boat, it is pointing away or the same direction as the rear of the boat. I figure, it is pointing where I am fishing, but I am not sure it really matters as it is just a cone going straight down getting larger the deeper it goes. So in shallow water, the cone or area covered is very small.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]First of all, the lateral direction of the skimmer shaped transducer makes no difference. But it is important to keep it level to insure that the beam shoots as straight down as possible. Otherwise it hits the bottom at an angle and your readings will be distorted.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Secondly, the Cuda 300 is not a very good unit. I and several other tubers returned our trial units fairly soon after trying them on a couple of trips. Lots of false readings...or no readings at all.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
The 3" screens units aren't worth much
The 4" screens give you clear bottom, but nothing clear in the middle depths: algae, grass, weed and fish cannot be separated
Go to a 5" screen unit, and you get mid water identification with clarity.

However:
if you happen to have fish id feature turned on with your existing unit and see lots of fish that aren't there, turn fish id off now and never ever turn it on again.
Fish ID draws those little fish outlines all over the screen where there might only be a spot of a sonar return , a black dot, otherwise.
Your eyes can see the difference easily between small fish and other nondescript crud far better than the software in those units can.
With fish ID off you should get better performance from the 4" cuda than with it on.
[signature]