Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going to Raystown Lake, could use a hand...
Good afternoon all,

I am new to the site and anxious to get reading and responed to some great fishing stories and topics.

A little about me, very little, I am an avid bass fisherman in my hometown area (laregemouth and near outskirts of Philly)

I have a family vacation coming up to Raystown Lake and am PUMPED!
We are renting a house boat for 4 days and looking to do some fishing.

Any tips for stripers, bass, etc for that lake would GREATLY be appreciated as never been there and need help from basic stuff as far as gear, bait, style, etc. for stripers...

Thank you in advance.

Bisquik
[signature]
I would not be fishing for bass from a house boat. not a good idea. make sure you have a row boat in the package and use that to get in around and near where bass like to play.

house boats are genneraly to big to manover around shallow structures and in and out of sunken coves where you are hoping to target bass.

most of the striped bass in my area I have found on the bottom at a depth around 20 feet.

I am not fimilar with the lake you are refering. but I dont think it would hurt to have a line set off the side of the house boat for big cats and what nots when you are parked for the night. make sure your drag is set to run and you have a loud bell on your rod to wake you when you tie in to that monster.
[signature]
When are you going???? That place starts to get crazy after memorial day. Alot of idiots down there. Fishing is good right now but when summer comes you get to may drunk jerk-offs and i try to stay away from the place.
[signature]
We are going down memorial day weekend..

Leaving memorial day but down the friday sat and sunday prior.

As stated above, probably wont be able to get close to shore and wanted to know best way to land some big ones with the situation given..

Any ideas or tips?
[signature]
If you got the heavy equipment try the area called beer barrel for some great striper action. Might be landlocked now but the weather is so messed up that u never know. Im not that familiar with the locations at raystown but think it is by "H" somewhere[fishon]
[signature]
I was there sunday and the weather sucked with the cold front so the bass were really tight liped. So we decided to go for some pike and musky. I landed a decent one but that was about all the action we had that day lol.
[signature]
thats a diecent musky. u gettem trollin? I always wanted to get into musky n pike but never really did. willing to learn though!!
[signature]
No i got him casting. I was working the shorelines that had a nice drop-off close to shallow water. Pike are easy to get this time of year. Anything flashy in the weedy bays will produce a pike. However musky are a different story. Ya gotta know where they are at and figure out what the hell they want. They tent to be picky and ya gotta sneak up on em.
[signature]
So we are 3 weeks away from the trip.

Can anyone suggest the best gear/combo i should pack.

Like lb test, rods, etc. i have some stuff i am bringing from my local gear set up but feel i need some stronger gear for the big ones, deep catfish, etc.

thinking 20-30lb test may cover it?

thoughts..

any tips would help
[signature]