Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel/water Separators
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]A few months ago, I purchased a used boat … a 17' aluminum Gregor with a 50 hp. Evenrude E-Tech 2-stroke that has been run a total of 156 hours. It is outfitted with a fuel water separator filter that is shaped like an oil filter (Sierra #18-7844).[/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000][/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]I have a few questions: How often do you think I should replace that separator? Are all separators created equal? Do you have any recommendations on where to purchase them locally for best price or should I just order them over the Internet? What are the symptoms of a boat that has been run too long without that separator being replaced?[/#000000][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]I have already ordered a couple of replacement separators off the Internet but I am still wondering if you guys wouldn't mind sharing with me what you know about these fuel-water separator gizmos.[/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000][/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]Thanks[/#000000][/font]
[signature]
I would recommend replacing it once per year. When I replace them I like to dump them into a clear container so I can see if there is any water or debris in the fuel that has been ran in the boat. Even if you do not want to replace it once a year dump it out and check for water and reinstall it. If you find water it is best to replace it. Most of the time the symptoms that you see from a water sep filter issue is the motor will start to cut out and miss when there is a high demand load put on the engine, this is mainly caused when there is a lot of water in the filter. In the 20 years I have been working on boats I have never seen one plug from debris it is always a water issue. I always keep an extra one on my boat at all times.
[signature]
Thanks MM ... I hadn't thought of keeping a spare one onboard.
[signature]
I have the same type of filter from Sierra and make sure to replace it every year.
I also carry an extra onboard as they run maybe $7-8. this has saved me some frustration on long trips in the past.

Great info above!
[signature]
Coot,
As MercuryMan said, replace them once/year. I also dump them in a clear glass container to see how much water they have in them. Then I judge by this just how much "dry gas" or "gas line antifreeze" I add to the tank each winter. I replace the ones on the state boats in the fall when I winterize the boats. I then dump in enough dry gas to treat the amount of gas in each tank. I also am a huge believer/user of StaBil at this time too. Keep an oil filter wrench on hand (on board?) to change out the filter. The gas really makes the filters tough to get off compared to an oil filter. The gas must affect the rubber gasket material. I only put them on tight enough so they don't leak. About a 1/4 turn with the wrench past what I can do with my hand.
You also asked about what it feels like when they get "full". Well it feels like what you would expect when you have water in the fuel. Backfire, sluggish, stumbling. When they are clean the boat runs great.
Finally, make sure to install them in a place with easy access. If they are difficult to reach they will be difficult to change! Especially if you need to really put some muscle behind the wrench to get them off.
[signature]
Thanks Scott ...
[signature]