Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat help...
What are the regs for a boat with a motor, does it have to be registered? All info is helpful
[signature]
Yes, anything with a motor (gas or electric) must be registered.
[signature]
Even though its a inflatable raft with a 1/2 hp motor?...
[signature]
Gonna have to figure out a way to put numbers on that rubber[Wink]. Even float tubes with electric motor need registration. Welcome to Utah[crazy]
[signature]
Where do I go to register it?[bobdumb]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You have to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles. Call first to verify which offices handle boat registrations. Not all of them do.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Take a picture of your boat, along with a receipt for purchase...or a bill of sale from the original owner. Your first year registration fees will include a tax on the purchase price. We don't get to pay enough taxes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]They don't care what size or type boat you have. If you put any kind of motor on it they gotcha. You wouldn't believe the looks on the faces of the DMV clerks (clucks) when I showed them the picture of the float tube I was motorizing. I think I embarassed them (maybe a little) when I suggested that having to register a float tube was borderline ridiculous.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
There's a Utah Boating pamphlet you can get from any park rangers office. I'll bet it's available elsewhere too (online there's info).
You'll want to be sure you've covered the appropriate safety requirements for a water-craft too. Life jackets, paddle, etc. Some of the laws may be questionable, but when it comes to safety - lots of it is good solid sense.
Not sure where they draw the line regarding inflatables vs others. Just watch out for stray hooks and the Powersquad!
Was thinkin' about buying a couple of these battery powered toy inflatable PWC things for my twin 5 yr. old grandsons. Found out I could be ticketed if they used them on a public pond or reservoir without them being registered & licensed. Quit thinkin' about it!
[signature]