Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lil carp shootin w/pics
Had a few hours to kill so I headed to one of my favorite carping canals to see if there was any activity. . Took 5 shots and hit 3 here are some pics!!!
[Image: 2011-05-16180236-1.jpg]
[Image: 2011-05-16172014-1.jpg]
[signature]
Nice shots!
Where do I pick up the stuff needed to convert a Bear compond bow to a bow used for fishing?
Looks like a great way to get some cat fish bait.
[signature]
Just about any place that has bowhunting stuff will have some kind of bowfishing supplies. I get mine at Sportsmans' because it's close. Get a couple of extra fishing arrows just in case you lose one. I get my catfish bait for the whole year during the carp spawn. Plus it's a blast shooting them.
[signature]
I buy all of mine at sportsmans! I use a bear bow as well.. its kinda overkill but I have gone completely through 2 carp at once haha
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Looks like you handled those pretty fish a bit too rough. I'll bet they did not survive.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Ok, now that IS funny coming from you TD! Knowing what a carp-lover you are. Get out the board, time for a carp roast.

Todd - I picked up a carp-fishing rig at Smith and Edwards. Wasn't very expensive - basically a spool that bolts on, and an arrow with a tip that swivels, so it goes in, but it don't come out.
Lots of archery-carrying stores'll have em. Problem is - my kid's bow probably doesn't have the hutzpa it needs. My boy learned even a pitchfork requires a lot of force to penetrate one of them beasts!
Might have to get a real bow and give it a try.
Yea the spool type are junk And kinda dangerous when they malfunction [pirate] I use the basket type which works the best !! Its like 80 bones but never malfunctions!

TD- yea I tried to be gentle But my 60lb bow Just has a mind of Its own!! [Tongue]
[signature]
Incredible pics. Where were you shooting? I'm in Springville and looking for a place close.
[signature]
No kidding! I was using a spool type and when I shot, my string caught on the line keeper which made my arrow fly right back at me. I think they need a warning that it could happen.
[signature]
I was at a canal here near Ogden. .. [Wink]
[signature]
"TD- yea I tried to be gentle But my 60lb bow Just has a mind of Its own!!"

[cool][#0000ff]Most carp twangers dial down their heavy hunting bows to about 25 or 30 pounds when perforating those ugly fishies. Still gives plenty of penetration at the short ranges common to carp stickin'.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Another option is to get a cheap recurve bow in that pull range. Lots of good buys at pawn shops and occasionally at DI or Savers. With a recurve you don't even need to come back to full draw for up close and personal shots.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here's a pic of the PVC (what else) line spool I made for my Hoyt.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well I got the bow from one of my buddy's that deer hunts. .. he sold It to ne For 20 bucks Haha I don't know the slightest thing about detuning a bow. . I would like it around 35-40lbs ... that would be perfect"! Because even with long shots at like 50 ft the arrow goes complete through the carp unless its a skull shot ! !
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There should be a place at the bottom of the top arm...at the back of the bow...for an allen wrench. You can loosen it up gradually until it is where you want it. If you know anybody (maybe your buddy) who knows how to do it and can measure the pull that is the best way to go. It is always a good idea to store your bow with the draw weight lowered anyway.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
wow, nice shots!

Just curious, do I need a special license to bow fishing? Can I shoot other fish than carp? Thanks.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Just a fishing license.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Carp only with a bow.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can also harvest them with spears, clubs and nets. No firearms and no crossbows.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
You can bow fish any non game species. .. suckers, carp, chub, etc. . Haha I couldn't imagine drawing back on a chub haha
[signature]
Pics of the year! Just don't let PETA see these!
[signature]
The spool type reels are Ok: easy to use, simple, and cheap. Just make sure your excitement doesn't override proper use of the equipment.

Also, an arrow with a cable or a slide will really help, both for safety and usability.

Coyotespinner, I've got a bunch of recurves lying around if you want to borrow one to try out until you find one for sale.
[signature]
The drum reels aren't too bad, just get an arrow with a cable or a slide and watch your gear.

You could go primitive and just use a huge long spear-like arrow if you like, with no line or reel. Just have to be willing to wade and put on a big, killer head.

Coyote, I got a bunch or recurves kicking around if you want to try one out. I don't want to sell any, but I like to see guys pick up the bow.
[signature]
Years ago we use too buy the cheap kids bows and shoot our warped cedar shaft arrows with no reels of any kind. We would go up up to scofeild durring the carp spawn , wade out in the shallows by the town of scofeild, and form lines across small bays . We would then herd them toward the shore. As they got shallow they would go nuts and swim back at you , bumping your legs , splashing all over, it was wild. You would shoot 6" or so ahead of the dorsel fin ripple. Of coarse carp were so thick in scofeild in those days ,You never knew if you actualy hit the one you shot at. Great fun though. I estimate we averaged 50-80 carp a day. We would gather the dead , take them home and use them for garden fertilizer. It only worked during the spawn though. I have often wondered if the same method would work at utah lake?
[signature]