Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 07-13-11
Fished Willard today with Bowhunter3. Had one of my better days on Willard. Almost zero flies and no mosquitoes to contend with; however, we had to fight the wind all day in order to enjoy that luxury. I got distracted once and nearly ended up on the dike. I didn't learn my lesson from the first near mishap and so I decided to do it again a couple hours later. This time we ended up drifting into the rocks and I got to jump on shore to keep the boat from getting bashed against the dike. I am walking with a limp and have several battle wounds on my legs[frown] but I saved the boat.[Smile] I am a slow learner.

We managed to find the walleye, two wipers, a catfish and many small mouth bass. All were caught trolling near the north dike. Fun day and a pleasure to meet and fish with Cody.
[signature]
Sweet. How many Walleye?
[signature]
Glad your invite turned into a good outing. Sorry bout the boat/legs "issue" - know what ya mean, too easy to get turned around looking down rigging a line, or - whatever! Boats just never do seem to want to 'go straight!'

Sounds like ya got on a diversity alrighty. Were you trolling cranks, or worms? Bottom bouncing? Sorry no pics, but we'll believe it was real and not some fanciful dream (plus - you've got a witness!) [sly]
Sorry about your injury. Otherwise it looks like things worked out great! In spite of the wind, you were able to hook into some of my favorite fish (walleye and wipers). I would have loved to have been with you.
[signature]
[quote UtahShooter]

Sweet. How many Walleye?

[/quote]

Around 20 -- didn't count them and we brought 10 home. They may be good eating but I don't get really excited about catching them because they don't put up much of a fight.
[signature]
[quote CoyoteSpinner]

Were you trolling cranks, or worms? Bottom bouncing? Sorry no pics, but we'll believe it was real and not some fanciful dream (plus - you've got a witness!) [sly]

[/quote]

All fish were caught trolling hard baits. The hot lure was a crayfish lure. Here is the one picture on my camera and perhaps Cody will post up a few.
[signature]
Thanks again Kent. It was fun, and not boring to say the least. Also, dinner was.... amazing. I can probably do some pics when I get home tonight.
[signature]
Hey Kent sorry I couldn't make it out with you guys, I really appreciate the offer and I hope to get a chance to get out on the water with you another time. Glad you guys found some fish to play with [Smile]
[signature]
Here's a few pics.
[signature]
Way to get 'em, Kent! Last Friday we did great for both species on spinner rigs, bottom bouncing. However, we could not buy a bite on the hard baits! I wonder what we were doing wrong? Maybe they just wanted slow that day I suppose...
[signature]
I tried to troll between about 2.5 & 3.2 mph; however, with the wind and waves our speed varied wildly. Often, we were dragging a small small mouth bass or walleye and didn't even know it. Surprising to see a small fish hit a such a large lure. I thought about trying bottom bouncing but couldn't figure out how to go slow enough. Just drifting in the wind we would go about 1.5 mph.
[signature]
These walleye posts are killing me. My boat is at the Gorge with all my gear. I have to make a run to get it ASAP. There is nothing better than walleye!
[signature]
[quote submoa]

There is nothing better than walleye!

[/quote]

For eating I would have to agree with you. As far as fun to catch I can make a lengthy list of fish that I would rather reel in.
[signature]
It's not the fight that draws me to walleye. It's the fact that you have to hunt them. I hear people make light of catching them, they are not easy to consistently catch. If you are one who can consistently catch walleye's you are an above average fisherman IMO. Eating them is great as well. I like wiper just as much to be honest.
[signature]
"For eating I would have to agree with you. As far as fun to catch I can make a lengthy list of fish that I would rather reel in."

[cool][#0000ff]Small walleyes hooked on heavy tackle...on lures trolled at warp speed...are not going to put up much of a fight. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]But there are plenty of walleye fans who fish them by casting small lures on light rigs that will challenge the statement that they are no fun to catch. If you fish them with the right gear you come to enjoy the THUMP of their aggressive strikes and their more-than-adequate fight. Better than a lot of cutthroats.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Just another reason why I don't enjoy washing lures behind a boat...especially when the skipper does not even slow down when a fish is hooked. Whoopee. Lotsa fun to drag in a burlap bag on a pool cue rod and hawser cable line. Not even wipers can put on a good show under those conditions.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]

[/#0000ff][#0000ff]If you fish them with the right gear you come to enjoy the THUMP of their aggressive strikes and their more-than-adequate fight. Better than a lot of cutthroats.[/#0000ff]

[/quote]

Pound for pound I will take the fight of a cutt any day over a walleye.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No arguments. Purely subjective.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Different folks for different strokes...or whatever.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have caught several rocks that have fought harder then the largest walleye I have ever landed. As for the there teeth... The larger walleye are infamous for there stupid head-shakes that tear up terminal tackle. Light main line can be fun, but I always up the leader material by 2 pounds or so. Little eyes (under 22 inches) are not a problem.

But there are no walleye there at night on Willard.
[signature]
The walleye are pretty easy to catch right now so it seems easy to most fisherman, but they can be a real bitch at times. I don't fish them for the fight they put up but I do like the fillets about the only thing I would put above them would be big perch or blue gill fillets. If you want to fish walleye when they do put up more of a fight try fishing them at night with cranks. I've caught alot that will follow your crank right to the boat and nail it just as you are about ready to pick it out of the water, scares the hell out of ya especially if they are 2 to 3 lbs or better. They give you all the tugging you might want with only 3 or 4 feet of line out. I have found that the eyes in Deer Creek seem to hit and fight the hardest after dark, and they also have more color to them than the other lakes here in Utah. Enjoy the eyes while they are biting now guys as it probably won't last mush longer.[fishin]
[signature]
got a couple of them on the fly rod up in idaho yesterday, they put up a fun fight! but couldent agree with you more about the fillets
[signature]