Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Correct methods to target big fish.
[angelic]Me being the kinda fishermen wanting to catch big trout on lakes yet i have not the most [:/] experience in catching big trout so i turn to the experts. What are good techniques to fish for big trout. Artifical lures? popgear? What kind of immitations? My thoughts are maybe some micro popgear followed by a F3 rapala? or wedding rings? Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated.[Smile]
[signature]
Hungry or releasing?

If you plan to keep one, I'd say use a weightless dead minnow in an area where you can see baitfish or a lot of cover (dams, just outside weed beds, shelves, etc).

Imitations can work well too, but they don't always get the follower to strike. The minnows usually end up in their mouth.

That's been my favorite method for weeding out the dinks vs the lunkers. Good luck.
[signature]
Idaho....
[signature]
I think the best tip would be fish more! I am sure there are better ways to catch big fish than others, but LUCK has a lot to do with catching big fish. As long as you are catching fish soon you will luck into a big one. Also targer a reservoir that has big trout in it to increase your odds.
[fishin]

MM
[signature]
I would say it has less to do with what you are using and more to do with how you are doing it. Short answer: work on your technique. A big non-hungry trout will give a reaction bite like any other predator, if you know how to poke the bear, so to speak.
some good advice is pick one lure/fly/plastic- whatever, and don't change it for the day. You will figure out how to fish that one bait effectively and differently in order to catch fish. Great way to learn...... if you have the patience!
[signature]
That's good advice so far.

I'll add: when to fish is important too. The big boys are most active in the first light of day.
[signature]
Imho, truely big fish want a big bite and mostly ignore the small bite. In other words, size your offerings to the size of fish you want to catch. For instance, I dont use 2" tubes to catch 35lb Mackies. I believe mother nature tells fish more energy will be spent to case down a 2" food source than energy gain if caught.
[signature]
[quote Coldfooter]Imho, truely big fish want a big bite and mostly ignore the small bite. In other words, size your offerings to the size of fish you want to catch. For instance, I dont use 2" tubes to catch 35lb Mackies. I believe mother nature tells fish more energy will be spent to case down a 2" food source than energy gain if caught.[/quote]

i agree and at the same time disagree with you. ive had some big fish on massive streamers and i have also had some big fish on flies all the way down to a size 28
[signature]
What percentage was caught on the larger baits, what on the smallest? I mean sure, anything pred will grab an offering that lands on their nose. Why wouldnt they, no energy spent, just gain. So in that repect I agree with you.
[signature]
One obvious tip fish where big fish are. Learn that water and spend massive amounts of time on it. You will have to observe for flashes and splashes and remember those spots on the lake. Learn what is the food source of that fish leaches, minnows, mice and mimic it. Fish early am at first light and late night at sundown and just after sundown. When you do hook into a good one make sure your equipment is ready good strong line and have your drag set properly! (learned this one by experience!)
[signature]
depends on the place. sout platte = size 28 to 32 flies for double digit cutthroat and bows, and browns even during the spawn.

taylor river below taylor res = size 30 to 32 mysis shrimp. chances are your not going to get anything there throwing bigger baits at rainbows going up to 20lbs unless your trying to snag one.

weber during the brown spawn = big nasty streamers
[signature]
Its apparent we're not talking about the same type of waters.
I use to fish for steam/river bows, cuts and browns but no longer.. When I did, I found flipping pocket lint wasnt for me.. Simply a matter of choice.
[signature]
if were talking still water the same thing holds true. granted it would be exceptionally difficult for me to get a fly down to 90 feet fishing for macs with big streamers, very doable, but very time consuming.
[signature]
There is a theory in the study of behavioral ecology known as the optimal forage theory which can predict mathematically what food item an organism will select based on its net energy value, handling time associated with eating that item, and encounter rate. That's why we can't resist the Burger King drive though. It's a high calorie payoff for minimal effort. It's engrained in our DNA, and that's why I'm overweight [Wink].

A number of studies have been done with birds and fish in which they were given different sizes of food items at a controlled frequency and observed foraging behavior. Basically, if food items are delivered in low frequencies, the forager will eat everything that floats by, large and small. If items are delivered at higher frequencies, they will begin to select for larger food items. This has been evident to me many times while fly fishing. There can be a beautiful midge hatch going on, but all the fish want are size 6 rubber legs. Why would I eat grapes when there is a Burger King on every corner.

Obviously larger fish can fit larger items in their mouth, so under the right conditions a big bait should target big fish. If there isn't a lot of forage available, then any bait will catch big fish, but it all depends on what's going on under the water, the quantity and quality of food items,... and a few other things [Smile]. Of course, this doesn't always apply perfectly, but it really helps to know the body of water and what's going on under the surface.

Not sure if that answers your question or not, but I'm a biology nerd, and just thought I would pass that along.
[signature]
You have to know your prey.

There have already been some great feedback in here, but for me:

1. Time of day. (You won't catch big fish if they aren't there, and generally speaking, big fish feed early morning and evening hours).

2. Presentation. (If it doesn't look natural to them, they simply won't bite).

3. Put in your time. (Even I know if you don't get out to fish, you won't catch anything).

4. Luck. (Even the most skillful fisherman will tell you that sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.)

Clear as mud and twice as thick. [Wink]
[signature]
An excellent book on the subject is "Big Trout; How & Where to target Trophies. Not only informative but an interesting read as well.
[signature]
If your goin after big slimers, you definitly need to start in lakes and rivers where they live. Don't expect to go to the comunity pond and catch the trout your looking for. It's all about time on the water as has been stated already. Find lures that have been proven and try them. Be patient and put in the time, nothing is better than finally figuring out the secrets to catching big fish consistantly on a body of water. As far as lures go, even though it makes me want to throw up a little, flies will work better at certian times than other lures. I've also caught more and bigger trout on spinners,rapalas,tubes, and bait than anything esle but that's just me.
[signature]
I got to agree with Koch in that my BIG fish have been caught on small flies.
The BIG cutts in Henry's are not meat eaters so to speak.

However, I don't rule out, big fly, big fish theory. For me, it is THE ZONE, then the fly.

Right now, I am finding big fish more on the bottom. So, fast sinking line is the answer in fly fishing.

Rivers are a totally different game in that you MUST match the hatch, but again, it is the ZONE. Bigger fish will be caught on the bottom.

For me, agreeing with several points stated, first being, fish waters that home big fish, second, know the species diet, third, time of year and where are they hanging (Zone) lately, weather and temperature. This could be why some do better in early morning or in evening.

What species are you looking at also.

My biggest trout was a 36" hybrid caught in 5' of water on a #12 woolly bugger.
[signature]
Get the stars to align, ha ha. I think that catching fish has a lot to do with fishing where there are fish, then throwing a bait they like. I believe you can basically catch any fish off of any lure (of any size or type), if the conditions are right. As for big fish, it's the luck of the draw, if there is 20 18" trout, and two 25", you do the math.
[signature]
And after all thats been said, and the advise given, maybe we should ask what you consider a big trout?

Over 20 inches, or 20 pounds?
[signature]