Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knot landing lunkers
My 3 biggest fish of the season have taken my lures and line with them. I started using the Uni-knot to attach my lures and it has worked great. So I use the double uni -knot to attach my braided line to about 4 to 6 feet of flourocarbon line. I don't know if it's the types of lines (which I don't plan on switching) but the knot seems to come undone if there is a "big fish". I have landed many 5 pounders with my current set up, but it doesn't hold for the fish with lots of fight in them.

I am tying the knots correctly but am switching because 2 of the 3 I have lost was due to the knot coming undone.

Any suggestions for a knot that would work for this set up? Do they weaken over time? Should I go to the surgeon knot?

Any input is appreciated.
[signature]
I am not a master angler, but I have caught some nice size carp/cats/macs on this knot. I am not exactly sure what it is called, but I have never had a fish pop the knot. Any time a fish breaks of, it breaks somethin' dangit!

Anywho. I always feed the line through the eye of the hook, bring it back up so it forms a loop. Usually pull about an inch through. I twish the hook about 7-8 times, then feed the end of the line through the little hole I just created. You will want to pull it very tight, and hold the loose end while doing so. Also make sure to pull the loops down. Doing that knot, I am never able to pull it out myself. I have broken the line before though when I wanted to make sure it was extra tight Smile
[#502800]For attaching a leader to a line, I use the no name knot ......... Look it up on the internet for tying instructions .......... It is strong and goes thru the guides without weakening.[/#502800]
[signature]
Here is a handy web site.
[url "http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com"][/url]http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com[/url]

This one takes you to the Palomar Knot. It very good for braided lines. Check out the other knots. I have found it very useful.
[signature]
What Braid are you using?

The uni to uni is the only knot to use for tying mono to braid in my opinion.

Make sure you pull all four lines in pretty tight (tag ends too) before you pull any of them all the way tight. Also wet them with saliva before you pull them to reduce friction. The mono should be wrapped 7 or 8 wraps and the braid about 5.

It shouldn't fail. Practice the knot a bit at home to figure out your problem.

If you are tying to Fireline it is really slippery and difficult to work with.
[signature]
Justin,

The uni-knot and the double uni-knots do not "come undone". That goes for any good fishing knot. Any properly tied fishing knot will fail if:

[ul][li]They were not lubed during tying[/li][li]They are tied with poor quality line[/li][li]The drag is set too tight while landing a fish[/li][/ul]
Remember, the knot is the weakest link. Only if you have defective line will line break somewhere other than the knot.

You said that your "three biggest fish of the season" had taken your lures and line. I would have to say that you didn't have your drag set right or the drag of your reel was substandard.

Oh, how many times have I watch someone set the hook hard only to break the line (at the knot). Most of those times it was the result of a bad drag setting or substandard drag.

Now, if your uni-knots are in fact "coming undone", then you really ought to consider having someone else watch you tie them to make sure that you are tying them correctly. Or, then yes, use a different knot that you can for sure tie properly.

Again, bottom line, properly tied fishing knots (no matter which knot) won't just "come undone".

[#800040]Edit: P.S. note: One big difference between the many good fishing knots is that they have diferent breaking strengths. "Ideally" a knot will not break before the test as labeled on the box. But that is ideal. Knots are the week link and will always break there first. But I digress. This thread is about knots coming undone ... not breaking.[/#800040]
[signature]