Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watch for snakes
This may sound silly but on the last two of three trips out fishing I've run into snakes. Both times it was while I was moving to a harder to reach place.

At East canyon I ran into a large black snake that I still can not find any pictures of related snakes that are found in utah. I was climbing under a low branch in the middle of heavy cover and not more than two feet away from my shoe was that fast black reptile!

And just yesturday as I was fishing on the dike I heard what sounded like a small group of crickets. Low and behold I walked right into a small 3 foot rattler. That made me get paranoid when I think back to my girlfriend sitting on the stones watching here line... As we watched the snake it went withen a few feet of us and went under some rocks and we lost it... It's freaky to think they could be under us as we sit there.

So I just want to say keep a heads up and be smart when your fishing.
[signature]
I'm not nearly as worried for humankind as I am for our best buddies, the dogs. [frown] That's always a worry for me. Many are just to inquisitive. Good reminder! Have you ever seen the results of a rattler bit on the nose? A bite in the throat are is curtains!!!!
[signature]
have the sparky vaccinated for the snake bites. what dike were u on willard.
[signature]
Yes they are out there. over the weekend my family and I were up on Upper Stillwater Reservoir and my daughter started freaking out. She saw a small brown snake wiggle away.
[signature]
Luckily Sparky is afraid of em and has warned me on several occasions. I can't hear the buzz since it's a frquency I can't hear. Have hearing problems, One was pretty big and at Mantua. [shocked] Others along the Weeb. under construction material.
[signature]
Was actually Mantua's dike and it was one of two we saw that day. just cruisin the rocks. Probably looking for the fish that people accidentally drop in between the cracks ; )
[signature]
Speak of the devil not three minutes ago my furry brother snapped up a wasps and started howlin... Not the sharpest crayons in the box... Thought curiousity was for the cats?
[signature]
one thing you guys should all know is that in utah the only venomous snake is the rattler, they are easily distinguished and should never be approached because they will reach out and bite you faster than you can blink! that being said all other snakes (in utah) do not have venom and you shouldn't freak out or try to kill them! my own dad was seconds away from shooting a common rat snake with his .22 before i stopped him and told him the snake could do us no harm! obviously though its not very smart to pick one up because they will bite, and it will hurt!
[signature]
Please, everyone, don't kill those snakes you are seeing. They are just making a living, and most eliminate pests, etc. Give them a little space, and they'll get away from you faster than you can get away from them. Rattlers pose some danger, of course, but they are rare around places with a lot of people. Our Utah snakes RARELY bite, and if they do, it's usually because someone is threatening them.
[signature]
Yeah whatever dude I will kill any rattlesnake I come across. And yes there are a lot of them out there this year.
[signature]
I'm with you, a good snake is a dead one! Pretty sure a kid got bit by a rattler at the gorge this weekend.
[signature]
i wanna say the news said it was a record year for bites.
I grew up on a farm in southern utah and I was taught to kill rattlers. My best is four in one day. Talking to my dad this year he said they are just lousy on the farm this year.
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]+1. My brother has two scars going the entire length of his arm due to them nasty buggers. He had backpacked over 7 miles into the deep Uintas and got bit by a rattler and it damn near killed him. I’m a big fan of the Taurus Judge loaded with buckshot. [/font]
[signature]
Bird shot would be better for snakes and more safe for you, not that I've tried it since I think I heard they passed a law last year making it illegal to kill rattlers. But unfortunately rattlers have an attitude and don't slither away they stand their ground and come after you at times. If they did pass that law it is one that needs some review in the case of being threatened. I'm all for live and let live in most cases but there are some critters that man is better off with few of them around. (Rattlers, wolves, cougars) just my opinion not looking to start an argument. J
[signature]
dont want to start an argument either, but snakes have been around since the dinosaurs. its kind of unfair to say that they shouldn't live among us when we're the ones invading their habitat. we leave them alone they leave us alone, its that simple. and when venturing out to our favorite recreational spots, we just need to be careful and keep an eye out. there is no need to hate these creatures or want to kill them, its a very immature thing to say in my opinion. they will always be around even after we humans are long gone. all we have to do is show them respect and keep our distance.
[signature]
I am pretty sure the Uintas are not habitat for rattle snakes, maybe down low. Just what I have read, and personal experiance, but I am often fooled. Maybe on the south slope in the Junipers or foothills. I would be interested in the exact location if that is available. Thanks
[signature]
Agreed Leaky. I've been around a lot of poisonous snakes. Only had two actually come after me. A mojave green down by Mojave Cal. and a big red rattler near Agila Ariz. We ran into 18 rattlers in one day down there.I have caught and moved dozens of rattlers. Away from our family during reunions and off roads when I see them. But I always worry about my pointers when we are out chasing Chukars. My helpers dog(black lab) got bit on the face at a job we were working near Copperopolis Cal. His face got huge but he survived. One time in Yarnell Ariz., I went into a mine shaft and the whole room started buzzing. I looked back toward the entrance and realized I had stepped over two Black Tail rattlers and there were two more in the room. That got a tad tricky. Still didn't feel the need to kill any of them.
Anyone out and about should be aware, especially with our bestest buddies, but we can all live together if everyone pays attention and takes a few precautions.
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]I wish I could give more details about location, time of year, and such. I was in the 3rd grade when it happened so that would have been 29 years ago. What I will tell ya, is it was very traumatic for the entire family and still to this day I have snake dreams because of that event. [/font]
[font "Calibri"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]Remember all. The devil came into the garden to tempted Eve in the form of a serpent. [/font]
[font "Calibri"] [/font]
[signature]