Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Rod opinions
Just curious to get some opinions I've had a rash of bad luck with my rods lately my ugly stick that has treated me great for the last 10 years but was shut in the trunk of the car a few months ago, so i went shopping and due to money cost at the time i went with a berkley redwood medium weight i loved feel and action on it and I caught a lot of nice fish but today i pulled on my rapala to get some weeds off and the pole snapped in half Im probably just gonna go back to the ugly stick but i wanted recommendations on other rods under the 75 dollar range. thanks
[signature]
For me i choose my rod selection based on what fishing i will be doing, i am a bit hardcore and have multiple rods for every situation and species. The best way to help you answer your question is to find out what you primarily fish for and then i can better help answer your question
[signature]
Thanks for the quck response I have always used the same rod from catching bluegill in the city ponds to tiger musky so I don't really have a specific fishing I go after what ever I feel like for the day but lately I've been mostly bass fishing
[signature]
My best advice would be to get a 6 ft med action rod like a st croix triumph or an abu garcia veritas for trout/bluegill/bass and save up and get a heavier duty rod for the tigers.

A 6ft med is a perfect rod for the majority of the waters around the wasatch front. A lighter rod for tigers will put a lot of stress on the fish as well as limit the size of lures you can throw for them. I am hardcore and try to get the right rod for the right species, but realize whats right for me isn't always right for you. If you have any more questions feel free to ask
[signature]
I'd agree, except i'd got with a 6'6" inch version instead of 6. Just a little more casting distance, but still really versatile.
[signature]
I agree with the St. Croix Triupmh I have two of these rods and they are very well built and have a 5 year warranty. They are very sensitive also.
[signature]
I agree with the 6ft6 rod, I have many 6 ft 6 rods
[signature]
I'm with ya on the dilemma, and I don't have a lot to spend.

I started out with an ugly stick and it's still a work horse for me! [Smile] I like the medium light though for all around fishing, once you get into the mediums they get heavy for a lot of casting and I loose a lot of sensitivity. I wouldn't go with less than 6' 6" either.

Though, I have been picking up a few graphite rods and their sensitivity is better, but they just can't take the abuse that the Uglies can. Ahhhh... there's always trade-offs! [Wink]

I'll let the "you get what you pay for crowd" talk of the finer points, but I have to be very practical. I've tried some inexpensive graphite rods ($30) and they aren't worth it... They break easily and the guides are flimsy.

However, I'm really enjoying fishing with mid to upper level Cabella's combos. The "Gold label" series being the minimum, the "Fish Eagle" are even better.

But so much is personal taste. Good luck with it.
[signature]
It could just be personal preference but I have a Abu Garcia Veritas and I hate it. I bought one and broke it the 3rd time using it. So I got it replaced with a brand new one under warranty. I don't like this new one either. the way the reel doesn't fit flush to the rod really bugs me.
[signature]
interesting that you have had issues with your rod, i push my rods to the max and all of mine have excelled. If you hate yours sell it and get something different
[signature]